how NOT to recover

TArthur99

I crashed my sukhoi SU 29mm recently and thought I would tell you guys about it so you can learn form my mistakes.
ok so I went from a super cub to a flight simulator to a 3D plane that may have been a mistake but I thought it would be fine and it was for the first 20 or so flights until I decided it was time to ramp things up a bit...
I was 2 minutes into my flight and I decided to do a knife edge I told myself "you have done knife edges hundreds of times on the sim you will be fine" as it turned out that was my first mistake, as I eased into the knife edge I noticed that the plane was going slowly down with full ruder so I increased the throttle and there was my second mistake, the plane continued toward the ground at a steady clip gaining speed this is when I panicked instead of cutting the throttle and leveling out (or pressing the safe button... yes I had "oh crap" button) I tried to level out by releasing the rudder...this of cores did not help and the plane smashed into the ground smashing the battery into the esc and pushing the esc through the bottom of the plane then sheering the landing gear off and damaging a aileron. this was a costly mistake and I hope you guys can learn something from it. also any ideas on why my plane was going slowly down in the knife edge? I had rates and expo on... meaning I only had about 40% of my rudder control.

Gryf

Tough break... I'm comfortable with a bunch of basic maneuvers, but have convinced myself that knife edges aren't in my play book. I'll figure them out some day, but for now I'll keep my planes (and my dignity) intact. ;-)

G

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Sorry to hear about your crash :( Hopefully it is repairable, at least you took the lessons from it.

To initiate and maintain a knife edge usually takes a lot of rudder authority. I've learned to only add throttle if the nose is pointing in the direction you want it to go as the torque and thrust of the motor can easily overpower the rudder.