how to charge 1s batterys

dee moore

i got a thunder 610 charger, i know to charge 2,3 s batteries, but i got a urtra micro spitfire and it use a 1s battey it a cheap charger with it thought if i could use my thunder charger to do all my charging with it, but it dont tell how to hook up 1s ,.where do i find leads to hook it to my charger. my charger say 1-6 cell charging. any help would be nice!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
With one cell no balance port is necessary so just hook up positive to positive and negative to negative, choose 1S on your charger setup, set the charging current and away you go! ;)

Thurmond

dee moore

thanks, I guess try to find a lead go from 4mm bullet to a female utra micro end that fit in my charger any suggestion?

epicstrikard

Actual Pilot, RC Idiot
If you fly a lot, and have multiple sizes of batteries, my local hobby store has AC/DC 1s-6s battery chargers. I am yet to find them online, but I will keep looking.

MrClean

How do you charge a 1 cell battery? I usually use my debit card, sometimes the Visa.

Heck, sometimes I don't charge at all and just pay cash!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I have a charger that charges through the balance port. It has plugs for 3s and 4s and two 2s. My question is, could I charge up to four 1s lipos (ultra micro type like for my mSRx)?
I'm tempted to build a 2s to 1s lead (if I can get the plugs) for each of the two 2s ports so I could charge four 1s at a time.
Thoughts?
Turnigy420.jpg

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Yes you can, BUT... first, can you set the charge rate with this charger, as in not trying to charge a 300mAh battery at a rate of 5A for example (unless your goal is to make a homemade flamethrower:eek:), and if you can, then you must make sure all the batteries you are charging togeather are exactly the same! If you have 2 different types of battery, and 2 of each, then you have to charge them 2 at a time using the 2S plug. You can make the plug easily even from an old servo connector if you want... but all this ONLY if you can set the charge rate (or if it's set to such a low rate it doesn't matter)...

What are the specs of the batteries you wish to charge like this?

Ok, I've just seen you can set it to 0.5A, which I would not recommend charging anything below 500mAh, even if it is a nanotech. Yes, they have a higher charge C rate, but the faster you charge any battery, even if it can take it, the shorter lifespan that battery will have.

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
The C rating on these little 1S batteries is 25C. They are only 150mAh capacities.
This is a fun hobby but if one is not careful the expenses can add up in short time so I am trying to avoid what is avoidable and use my hard earned money for other family needs/wants.
I'm glad you brought up the charge rate. For some reason that hadn't even crossed my mind.
So are you recommending against a .5A charge rate on a 25C battery?
I see you're in Spain. I lived there for 7 years with my wife who was born in Jerez. I'm not familiar with Albacete though.
Aprecio tu consejo en esto y bienvenido al Forum.
—Jim

Last edited:

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Right... Lets see... The 25C you mention is the discharge rate only, not the charge rate. Unless specified, the charge rate of a LiPo battery is maximum 1C, meaning that for these batteries is 0.15A. In theory, you can overcome this by using a serial/parallel setup woth 6 batteries making one big 2S3P, but in practice it's not something I would recommend, as the decay rate might differ in some of the cells, causing them to charge differently, and exceeding the 1C rate. If you knew enough about electronics, you could probably calculate an inline resistor to install inside the unit to lower the amperage... But the only real safe way would be to get an Imax B6 type charger with which you could charge them all at 0.1A

You can try the series-parallel setup if you want, but as I said, you would need 6 batteries, all the same, same age and similar number of cycles each.

Gracias por el saludo, excepto que en mi caso seria "bienvenida" ^.^

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Ay perdona Señorita. No se ve muchas mujeres en este hobby. Me alegro de equivocarme en este caso.
And your English is perfect. Obviously you have experience.
Anyway, I am glad that you are reminding me how important it is to pay attention to some important basics.
I guess it's time to spend if I want a better charging setup.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
No pasa nada!! Ya se que somos minoria!! A ver si eso cambia!!

The truth is I'm half english, half spanish, born in London... So I should hope my english is good hehehe!!

Not many women in aeromodelling, true... Not many with electrical degrees either, or scratchbuild with balsa, or computer repairers... But here I am, the exception to many rules!!:eek: