How to reduce the noise of stepper motors

chengyimin

Hello

In an attempt to reduce stepper motor noise from my RS-CNC32, I purchased some DM542T stepper motor driver from Oyostepper ( https://www.oyostepper.com/goods-11...20-50VDC-for-Nema-17-23-24-Stepper-Motor.html) and some NEMA23 replacements from Ooznest (2305HS280AW and 2303HS200AW).

Unfortunately when I tested this combination it was considerably noisier than the original TB6600 and 57BYBH56 kit motors. Swapping the 2.0A and 2.8A motors around didn't improve things. There is a noticeable white noise from the motors while stationary and a lot of stepper motor noise when they're moving. The vibrations are amplified when i hold the motor against a solid object like the aluminium frame of my router or a block of wood.

Using the old (cheap) motors with the DM542T drivers give a significant noise reductions compared to the original setup and give a much better torque and holding performance. (Highly recommended)

I would really like to get these motors working but they have to be quieter. It looks like some DM542 drivers have an auto setup feature when you toggle sw4 switch but this doesn't seem to do much with these drivers.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Hello

In an attempt to reduce stepper motor noise from my RS-CNC32, I purchased some DM542T stepper motor driver from Oyostepper ( https://www.oyostepper.com/goods-11...20-50VDC-for-Nema-17-23-24-Stepper-Motor.html) and some NEMA23 replacements from Ooznest (2305HS280AW and 2303HS200AW).

Unfortunately when I tested this combination it was considerably noisier than the original TB6600 and 57BYBH56 kit motors. Swapping the 2.0A and 2.8A motors around didn't improve things. There is a noticeable white noise from the motors while stationary and a lot of stepper motor noise when they're moving. The vibrations are amplified when i hold the motor against a solid object like the aluminium frame of my router or a block of wood.

Using the old (cheap) motors with the DM542T drivers give a significant noise reductions compared to the original setup and give a much better torque and holding performance. (Highly recommended)

I would really like to get these motors working but they have to be quieter. It looks like some DM542 drivers have an auto setup feature when you toggle sw4 switch but this doesn't seem to do much with these drivers.

Any help greatly appreciated.
if you want to reduce noise from the steppers i would highly recommend that you look at the TMC line of stepper motor drivers, as they are known for being considerably quieter than others

Piotrsko

Master member
Low membership post count, and I don't know anybody running steppers in FT aircraft since the useaege is typically fine position control as opposed to creating rotational power.

Does meet the trend in many of the forums I participated in for this style of post generated by a fake account and a bot.

Could see using them as a servo, but they are bigger and heavier that the small geared stuff we use

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Low membership post count, and I don't know anybody running steppers in FT aircraft since the useaege is typically fine position control as opposed to creating rotational power.

Does meet the trend in many of the forums I participated in for this style of post generated by a fake account and a bot.

Could see using them as a servo, but they are bigger and heavier that the small geared stuff we use
These forums are more than just airplanes man. Check out the forum on the ERC TimSav. Reguardless, since he is talking about noise I’m sure hes using them on some machine whether it be a 3d printer, laser cutter, something. (Definitely not the TimSav here lol)

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
My best recommendation for this issue would be using some type of physical buffer between the chassis of your machine and the stepper motor, from my experience the majority of your noise is coming from those undampened vibrations being amplified through the chassis.