I s something wrong with my Imax B6 ?

Greg1516

I have two 1000mah 11.1 v lipos that came with a kit from Lazertoyz for my Old Speedster project. I also bought the Imax B6 charger. I'm using an old 450 watt PSU from an old PC to supply 12v to the alligator plugs, and the charger is working. When I try to charge either one of these new batteries in any lipo charging mode I get a low cell battery error and it stops charging. When I select to monitor the cells it shows identical voltage for the top row of cells, and then 2.00v on the second line as if it were reading a fourth cell that isn't there. I think this is causing the program to post the error. It is doing it with both batteries. I have read the booklet, and watched every four button charger tutorial on Youtube. I am setting up the charge rate at 1.0A for a 1000 mah and checking the voltage is set to 11.1v (3S). What is causing this error? What is the 2.00v reading on the second line? Do I just have a bad charger?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
How many wires does your balance plug have? A 3S like you have should only have 4 wires. You might have to post some pics for us to help diagnose further...

Greg1516

Imax error.jpg
The balance plug has four wires and is in the 3S plug. These are new batteries. There are no defects in them that I can see. For some reason it sees a fourth cell. I don't think it is supposed to do this, and it could be why I am getting the low cell voltage error.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I have seen similar when using a balance port adapter that is not compatible with a specific charger. Scratch that if your BP is built in or your adapter came with your charger.

Thurmond

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You might need to open up the charger (if you are comfortable doing that) and see if anything on the board where the balance ports connect is amiss. With 4 leads on the balance connector from the battery being correct, the only other thing might be bent pins in another port or some other path for a bit of bleed voltage.
Is this something that just started or has the charger always done this?

Greg1516

This thing is brand new, and the only two batteries I own. My only experience with lipo batteries, and chargers is what you see here.
That is why I'm bringing it to the forum. Could this be why I can't get my motor to work? It just beeps, and beeps until I unplug the battery from the ESC.

con244

Hi Greg, Something is amiss here. The 1000mAh 11.1V Lipos only have three cells not four. I've just had a quick look through of the manual for this charger and it seems to use 4S(4 cell) lipos as its example in the charging and balancing monitoring section so if the charger is looking for 4 cells it will show a bogus reading for the fourth if it is not there. I also assume that you also have the +ve and -Ve wire connected to the charger as shown in the manual. Are you setting the charger for 3 cells? If not this may be the problem.
Con

Last edited:

lonewolf7717

Well I just tried plugging 3s in as normal but selecting 4s balance mode. My GT X charger shows no "ghost" voltage on fourth cell. Was this a genuine B6 or one of the ebay fakes? Main issue with these IMAX models seem to relate to balance ports, several manifestations thereof. If my personal charger I would pull out multimeter and check all pins on 4cell port for resistance. If I hade one lower or out if wack from others I would open case and look for messy solder or other cross connection.

con244

According to the manual as soon as the charger detects that something is wrong with the selected battery type it forces a cut out and stops doing anything. This will stop it from charging properly or even detecting the correct voltages on the other cells. Some chargers auto detect the type and configuration of the batteries. Not sure if this one does but it doesn't seem to.
Con

Greg1516

Thanks for the help guys. I'm doing this all by the book. The 3S plug will only go into the 3S slot. I confirm after the battery check that it sees a 3S, and I have selected 11.1V (3S). I set the charge rate at 1.0A for a 1C charge rate for 1000mAh, and hold for three seconds and it begins to charge. about a minute later it will show the low cell error and stop charging. So I start over and check the status of the cells before it gives the error and see that it is reading 2.00 V on a cell that isn't there. Where could this voltage be coming from? Based on the voltage seen on the three cells that I know I have, would you say that this battery is fully charged anyway? The other battery I bought is doing the same thing, so it has to be the charger that is causing this somehow.
I got this from lazertoyz because they have the power components matched for the FT swappables and appear to have a good relationship with the FT people. One good thing about having weird problems right out of the gate in this introduction to RC flying, I have learned a lot about the batteries, but i can't be sure that things aren't working because of them.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Best route is to contact the vendor about a replacement or other suggestions they might have.

Thurmond

con244

Hmmm, I would suggest checking the outputs like Lonewolf has suggested, but to be honest if the charger is new I would just contact Lazertoyz and ask for a replacement. I don't think you should be having to check anything and the unit should work properly straight out of the box. It sounds like you are using it correctly so the only other thing it could be is that it is faulty. A bit annoying if you are hanging out to put a model into the sky. If you have a multimeter check the voltage of the batteries. They should be around 14.4V fully charged. If you are having problems with the power setup and they are showing this voltage there may be other problems with the electronics. I believe there has been some issues of late with Lazertoyz but I am sure they will be happy to sort it out for you.
Con
Ha! Thurmond beat me to it!!!!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Con, his 3S batt's will read 12.6v, not 14.4v brother.
Greg, just contact Lazertoyz. They'll get you sorted out.

con244

Oops, yes you are rightxuzme. In the middle of a heat wave here at the moment, think I fried my brains.
Con

con244

Apparently last week Adelaide was the hottest city on earth on that day. We hit 45C (115F) that day and I was dreaming of snow to try and keep cool. It hasn't cooled down much since, we are looking at high 30C and low 40C for the next week. Doesn't do the lipos any good either
Con

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Been cold and windy here so I haven't been flying, either. But I will trade you some of that heat for some of this wind! I can deal with the cold, but wind at 20+ MPH is no bueno!

lonewolf7717

Been cold and windy here so I haven't been flying, either. But I will trade you some of that heat for some of this wind! I can deal with the cold, but wind at 20+ MPH is no bueno!

Man I get the wind thing, flew night fly for first time in couple years this past weekend.....may freeze my butt off but at least get some flight time with no wind.

con244

More than happy to send some of the heat, just not sure how:D
Con

ps Hey, Greg1516 any news from Lazertoys?