I should be committed so I need your help committing to a plane!!!

2nd Plane, FT Explorer or FT Spitfire?

• FT Spitfire

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • FT Explore

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • FT Bronco Pusher

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Why a new motor? Why not just replace the shaft?

If you have the blank stock, a drill & a Dremel, a new shaft is very easy to make.
Not knowing a ton about brushless motors, I wondered if this was possible myself. I would be interested to learn how. However a new motor was $8 on banggood so I'm not breaking the bank either.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Could you explain how?
Here is how I make my own replacement shafts.

Finding the correct size of stock materials is the most difficult part of the process. I have had success using music wire, nails and suitable stock from eBay. I have found these 3.17 mm shafts . I just received some today they’re look like they will work fine. All you will need to do is grind or file a flat spot for the motor bell to engage.

I also used this stainless steel stock, it comes in 3, 4, 5, 6 & 8 mm. With this material, you will need to grind a slot for the clip. I chuck it in a drill and use a Dremel with the cheap cut off wheel to cut a slot. Don’t use the heavy duty wheel, it’s too thick. Be sure to wear safety glasses. Secure the drill, spin it up and with a steady hand cut the slot. On my first few attempts I cut the grove too deep. Just cut it off and try again. The Dremel also work great to grind the flat. The setup takes longer than the process, I will make several at one time.

For me this is a quick and easy way to breath new life into a motor. Like anything else it will be awkward at first but will become easier the more you do it You might want to order some extra E-Clips also.

Last edited:

mayan

Legendary member
Here is how I make my own replacement shafts.

Finding the correct size of stock materials is the most difficult part of the process. I have had success using music wire, nails and suitable stock from eBay. I have found these 3.17 mm shafts . I just received some today they’re look like they will work fine. All you will need to do is grind or file a flat spot for the motor bell to engage.

I also used this stainless steel stock, it comes in 3, 4, 5, 6 & 8 mm. With this material, you will need to grind a slot for the clip. I chuck it in a drill and use a Dremel with the cheap cut off wheel to cut a slot. Don’t use the heavy duty wheel, it’s too thick. Be sure to wear safety glasses. Secure the drill, spin it up and with a steady hand cut the slot. On my first few attempts I cut the grove too deep. Just cut it off and try again. The Dremel also work great to grind the flat. The setup takes longer than the process, I will make several at one time.

For me this is a quick and easy way to breath new life into a motor. Like anything else it will be awkward at first but will become easier the more you do it You might want to order some extra E-Clips also.
Thanks.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I haven't built or flown the Spitfire but I chose that, because I've heard nothing but good about it. I'm pretty sure it's a 4ch plane, so the sooner you can learn that the better. It's not going to be a no-brainer-trainer, but it's a decent second plane, and if you limit your throws a bit and fly slow, it should be docile enough to get used to everything, and gives you room to go faster and do more aerobatics as you get used to it.

mayan

Legendary member
I haven't built or flown the Spitfire but I chose that, because I've heard nothing but good about it. I'm pretty sure it's a 4ch plane, so the sooner you can learn that the better. It's not going to be a no-brainer-trainer, but it's a decent second plane, and if you limit your throws a bit and fly slow, it should be docile enough to get used to everything, and gives you room to go faster and do more aerobatics as you get used to it.
+1

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Quick status update... Between work and family I've managed to get the wing, fuse, and tail feathers assembled. Thanks to @BATTLEAXE for the ironing edges tips as it cleans / strengths things up and I hate cutting bevels. What are people using for filler prior to minwax / paint? I've managed to gather quite a few dents in my foam and I'd like to smooth things out. I as thinking of using some DAP drywall spackle (I already have some and am on a tight budget) but I'm not sure if it has enough flex.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Quick status update... Between work and family I've managed to get the wing, fuse, and tail feathers assembled. Thanks to @BATTLEAXE for the ironing edges tips as it cleans / strengths things up and I hate cutting bevels. What are people using for filler prior to minwax / paint? I've managed to gather quite a few dents in my foam and I'd like to smooth things out. I as thinking of using some DAP drywall spackle (I already have some and am on a tight budget) but I'm not sure if it has enough flex.
Although I have never tried it myself I have heard of others using and recommending the spackle. So it must work well. I imagine that once it is sanded down it is thin enough to be somewhat flexible and light. A better one might be the spackle you use for textured popcorn ceilings. It is more airy in consistency and will sand and shape easier

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Update... Most of the airframe is complete, still need to work on a canopy and get some electronics installed. I used DTFB for the front and rear deck with some additional stringers. I think I learned some techniques to minimize the creases next time but will smooth them out before paint on this build. Please forgive my mess of a work station as I have limited space at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_20200320_073733.jpg
    IMG_20200320_073733.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Update... Most of the airframe is complete, still need to work on a canopy and get some electronics installed. I used DTFB for the front and rear deck with some additional stringers. I think I learned some techniques to minimize the creases next time but will smooth them out before paint on this build. Please forgive my mess of a work station as I have limited space at the moment.
Nice! I like where you’re going with the top hatch and foam turtle deck. :)

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Finally made some progress today. I know most of you seem to be cranking out quarantine builds left and right but I'm fortunate enough to have my employment generally uninterrupted so far. That and the extra time needed to occupy the kids have taken me away from nightly building. If I'm honest I kind of hit a wall with the build and let it sit for a while focusing tons of time on the sim.

Still needs some more paint work and decals and it's not as pretty as I wanted it to be but I cut bait and decided it was ment to fly, not shine. Still need to find a longer prop adapter so I can use the spinner with the 9x6.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AYvz6iTJZyG3FrX16

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Finally made some progress today. I know most of you seem to be cranking out quarantine builds left and right but I'm fortunate enough to have my employment generally uninterrupted so far. That and the extra time needed to occupy the kids have taken me away from nightly building. If I'm honest I kind of hit a wall with the build and let it sit for a while focusing tons of time on the sim.

Still needs some more paint work and decals and it's not as pretty as I wanted it to be but I cut bait and decided it was ment to fly, not shine. Still need to find a longer prop adapter so I can use the spinner with the 9x6.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AYvz6iTJZyG3FrX16
That looks good! (y) I never got around to painting the camouflage on my spitfire.