Icarus Aerospace TAV (w/plans)

leaded50

Legendary member
with both version wingspan:

DSC_1052.JPG

Pilotr2020

- as written, i use a picture zoomed to the actual size on my home computer screen i wanna build it in, and take the measures i can get then, - the foamboard thickness (eg. 70mm height, will get 60mm with 5mm fomboard skin) and looks on other pictures s to determ the style, if cant find a picture in actual angle, its not so difficult make something pretty close.... as i wrote in another post here.
To get the skins size, well if starts in one end, its not too difficult individually get them to fit by trail & error. Or, can use plain writingpaper fitted on outside and light behind, to se where the formers are, and mark how rhe panel need to be. This plane even have a "angled line" going all the way... pretty nice to use for where top & bottom parts are connected

Thanks! This helped alot.

leaded50

Legendary member
wing:

i used double foamboard as spar + 4 profiles at centerparts, 2 at extensions to "direct" in central part a 8mm CF tube (all the way), and in wing extensions 6mm CF tube 3/4 length. Also mounted shorter 8mm tubes against rear at central part, 6mm tubes at extensions at rear. This 4 tubes keeps the wingparts together , letting the wing extenison tubes slide into the central parts 8mm tubes..

plan6_jp.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
Wing extensions with the CF tubes shown, and ready painted:
(here i did go with "normal" marking in colors at underside, to easyer see directions at distance in air , even if the plane otherwise will get "nightfighter low-vis" marking at top.
To keep it as a easyer build, this extensions dont get any ailerons (they are at outer ends of central wing) But can be made, and servoconnections altered when extensions in use.

DSC_1054.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
the tailfins are done by double foamboard, even the stab is.. all for better stability/reinforcing. When the vertical fin are doubled and shaped a little as a "wingprofile, it strengthen a lot for movement. Also inside a paintstick is going up 3/4 of the way, down to bottom of booms.
The ruddershape then get a thicker in front, and here decided make them using "stick" hinges (dont remember correct name :)) Then the rudders are uniformed shaped similar at both sides, fitting the shape further at vertical fin.
DSC_1055.JPG

Because dont have gotten the servocabel extensions, i used a thin rope inside at its place from tail to the reciver placements.

leaded50

Legendary member
heres the centerwing/booms complete in "raw" with just a paintstroke for evaluation of surface work.
The top of nacelles/booms that goes over the wing, is just made by shaped foamboard, where both sides of paper have been removed, and glued in place. Some sanding to shape from the more "square edged" booms to rounded shape against the prop.
Underside is used foambpoard rounded at table edge, with just one side of paper removed, as also the front parts of nacelles top.
Wing front unside nacelles are cutted away for ease of wire directions, and by the good intakes under where props get, its a great place for cooling of ESC´s

DSC_1056.JPG

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
yes, its "some work" more than just an fast build.... but it will look great finished, and give many a "chocking" wonder that its done in foamboard, and not a ready-bought fabric produced plane ;).
For me, i have time, and more than enough planes to fly.

leaded50

Legendary member
Your builds are getting ridiculous. I had to look twice at the photos because I didn't believe that was foamboard. Amazing work!
Thanks! one of reasons you know.... show what can be done of foamboard :)

Length get to be 1175mm.
Wingspan without extensions 1020mm
Weight without retracts, and 5 servos (wheel steering/ailerons/elevator/rudders) and battery : 1275g

leaded50

Legendary member
3D printed:
2 different pilots. Both adjusted on helmet, hand angle eg.
4 mid size rockets, 4 small rockets, 2 rocket launchers
I tried print some spinners... but they got to be close to "crap" on how fit with the spinner base, and ditched. Used Dynam Grand Cruiser ones instead.
Retract servoless holders.

Canopy frame was made in pvc-foamboard, to easier get strength for the canopyshape. Canopy glassing is from a national sodawater brand plastic bottle.
Holders on side of canopy for 2 rockets are also in pvc foamboard. easy to shape by heat, and it keeps shape, even if flexes in need.

Plane is to be setup with differential thrust, and rudder. Then its not needed for servoassisted steering of front wheel, the taxing goes good without, as long the frontwheel have a trailing style. (wheel center in back of the vertical rod)
lgear.jpg

Last edited:

cyclone3350

Master member
3D printed:
2 different pilots. Both adjusted on helmet, hand angle eg.
4 mid size rockets, 4 small rockets, 2 rocket launchers
I tried print some spinners... but they got to be close to "crap" on how fit with the spinner base, and ditched. Used Dynam Grand Cruiser ones instead.
Retract servoless holders.

Canopy frame was made in pvc-foamboard, to easier get strength for the canopyshape. Canopy glassing is from a national sodawater brand plastic bottle.
Holders on side of canopy for 2 rockets are also in pvc foamboard. easy to shape by heat, and it keeps shape, even if flexes in need.

Plane is to be setup with differential thrust, and rudder. Then its not needed for servoassisted steering of front wheel, the taxing goes good without, as long the frontwheel have a trailing style. (wheel center in back of the vertical rod)
View attachment 206526

That is the way to go. Save weight and the hassles of setting up a servo. As always nice work. I hope U recover well. With what I have, flying is totally out of the question and I have enough energy to build for 2 hours a day. though today, I think I might do 3. The not flying is what is killing me.

leaded50

Legendary member
That is the way to go. Save weight and the hassles of setting up a servo. As always nice work. I hope U recover well. With what I have, flying is totally out of the question and I have enough energy to build for 2 hours a day. though today, I think I might do 3. The not flying is what is killing me.
I build, quite medicined, and sort it out if is ok, or need rework , when gets more "clear moments" :sneaky:. That keep me a bit active, in stead of just look into a wall :censored: