I'm purchasing all my electronics...Just want to make sure I'm not buying the wrong things.

Ducky84

So I think I've finally settled on what I'm buying and where I'm getting it from. I just want to make sure everything is going to work for my scratch builds. Just looking for feedback to make sure I'm not missing anything.

First aircraft - Simple Cub (Already built!), and Simple Scout

Engine\Servo's\ESC - The Flite Test Power Pack C (From Flite Test Store)
- Might be overkill for the Cub, but it sounds like it should still work.

Transmitter - Radiomaster Tx16S Hall (From Amazon)
-I will note that eventually I will want to install a Crossfire setup on this down the road. I picked this because it seems like I can grow with it and not have to replace it for a better one.

Receiver - The FySkyX8R (From Hobbytown)
- I eventually want to connect this to a Mateksys FC and my understanding is that with SBUS I can do this...But this is way later down the road. I honestly don't know what else to look for in a receiver...

Aircraft Battery - The Turnigy Nano-Tech 2200mAh 45-90C (From Amazon)
- My understanding is that with 45-90C this is more than enough to power the C Engine, and give me room to use this on other compatible aircraft. I'm not sure what flight time I should expect though, I've heard others say that the 2200C is about the max for the Simple Cub.

Transmitter Battery - Some 7.4v Li-Ion battery (From Amazon)
- I'm not really sure what my options are here. I'd rather not do a Lipo and it seems like Li-Ions are safer to use. Would something like this work, or is there a better option?

Charger - SkyRC iMAX B6 (From Amazon)
- I know nothing else other than people keep recommending this one...I'm in no hurry to charge anything, but I want something that will be safe to use.

Anythign else I'm missing or overlooking?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Looks pretty complete except the batteries.. Look at that particular TX pack. its has 2000mah on the label yet it uses 1500 mah 18650's. You tube maths FTW!!!!

I fly mainly quads so I use high C rated packs. It doesnt hurt to use them in planes specially like you said will be swapped into various things. I have tried many brands and gotta say.. Too many boast ratings wayyyy above the actual capabilities of their products. One company I fly nearly exclusively (only because smaller pack availability is not there) is China Hobby Line. Those are the ONLY packs I have been able to rip full throttle flights without sag or damage to the pack. Tatu.. garbage lasts less then a week of hard flight, less then 5 flights before internal resistance changed noticeably between cells. Even Lumenier graphine packs couldnt keep up and swelled if flown hard on a hot day.

Cant say much for turnigy as they didnt have a high enough C rating when I looked into them so I never tried them.

Ducky84

Looks pretty complete except the batteries.. Look at that particular TX pack. its has 2000mah on the label yet it uses 1500 mah 18650's. You tube maths FTW!!!!

So with that, the mAh rating is actually lower than they say it sounds like? WIth that being said though, what mAh rating does everyone else use for their Tx's?

In my experience, the cub flies much better off a smaller pack like a 1500 than a 2200. As far as C rating definitely get something with at least 25 C. I have a number of 25 C packs and they work great for the C pack, but for some higher performance planes I have, I have to use packs with higher C ratings, but for a cub 25 C will be fine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01725A4K6/?tag=lstir-20

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I've heard this said, and I may end up doing the smaller pack like you suggested. Can I ask what kind of flight times you get off the 1500mAh? The pack I was looking at was rated much higher on the C level.

My thought was the larger engine + larger battery pack might balance itself out, but perhaps that's the wrong way of thinking. I think the FT guys did a beginner Youtube video where I saw this mentioned.

I may even get both just to try it out since I'll have multiple crafts eventually.

Again huge thanks for the support guys, there's so much to unpack, I just wanted to make sure my first setup was looking okay.

KubKade

Ya well for the scout a 2200 would work fine but you may have to modify it to sit back in the fuselage further to get the center-of-gravity which would involve cutting into the wing inside the fuselage.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So with that, the mAh rating is actually lower than they say it sounds like? WIth that being said though, what mAh rating does everyone else use for their Tx's?

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I've heard this said, and I may end up doing the smaller pack like you suggested. Can I ask what kind of flight times you get off the 1500mAh? The pack I was looking at was rated much higher on the C level.

My thought was the larger engine + larger battery pack might balance itself out, but perhaps that's the wrong way of thinking. I think the FT guys did a beginner Youtube video where I saw this mentioned.

I may even get both just to try it out since I'll have multiple crafts eventually.

Again huge thanks for the support guys, there's so much to unpack, I just wanted to make sure my first setup was looking okay.

I use 2200 mah 5c lipo packs in my radios. They come in perfect size for my Taranis X9 D plus. I fly nearly every day in good weather at least 10 packs a day and I don't have to charge my radio pack of several weeks.

whackflyer

Master member
Ya well for the scout a 2200 would work fine but you may have to modify it to sit back in the fuselage further to get the center-of-gravity which would involve cutting into the wing inside the fuselage.
If you put your elevator and rudder servos in the tail you don't have to modify the wing at all. My 2200 sits right where the 1500 would and I've got room to move it either way.

KubKade

I fly mainly quads so I use high C rated packs. It doesnt hurt to use them in planes specially like you said will be swapped into various things. I have tried many brands and gotta say.. Too many boast ratings wayyyy above the actual capabilities of their products. One company I fly nearly exclusively (only because smaller pack availability is not there) is China Hobby Line. Those are the ONLY packs I have been able to rip full throttle flights without sag or damage to the pack. Tatu.. garbage lasts less then a week of hard flight, less then 5 flights before internal resistance changed noticeably between cells. Even Lumenier graphine packs couldnt keep up and swelled if flown hard on a hot day.

Cant say much for turnigy as they didnt have a high enough C rating when I looked into them so I never tried them.
So do you just use a adapter from your 2s plug in on your tx to your bigger batteries?