In-car Power Rail

SteevyT

I had my old lipo charger rigged up so I could plug it into either the wall through a computer power supply, or the cigarette lighter on my car. Nice and convenient so I didn't have to pop the hood to charge through the car. Last weekend though, something happened and my charger fried itself.

The new charger is nice because I don't have to run through the computer power supply to plug it into a wall. However, it also doesn't have a nice way to plug into a cigarette lighter. After thinking about it, I decided that I didn't want to cut the cord that had the clips on it in case I needed them attached. Instead I made a very simple power rail out of the cord I used to use with the charger that fried. I wanted something that I could easily clip on to, but wouldn't short itself out easily. Here is the result: http://i.imgur.com/r59G52I.jpg

The rail itself is just a wire coming off of a cigarette lighter plug taped/glued to a bit of carbon fiber rod and two patches stripped off so I can just clip right to the bar and make contact.

El_AMPo

Kind of a "sparky" setup in my opinion (get some blade fuses :p )

For the easy and safe mod.
Cut the cable you have, use a male XT60 connector soldered to the charger plug side and a female XT60 to the clips.
If you need the Cigarette lighter adapter, solder another female XT60 to the adapter and switch terminals.

...also that way you can run your charger from "borrowed" 3S lipos :eek: (Lipo inception?)

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
One quick question... When your charger fried, was it being used on the AC or the DC power supply?