Is a ParkZone T-28 Trojan a decent first plane?

bitogre

I am just starting to get into the hobby and looking to buy my first plane. I have already had professional instruction using a buddy box and was flying a 4 channel plane without any issue. In fact, during my first 2 hour lesson, I was successfully landing the plane a majority of the time without the instructor needing to take control. If I remember correctly, the plane used here was a Hangar 9 Alpha 40 that had been convert to electric.

One of the biggest other factors that impact the decision is that wind is going to be a factor (I live in South Florida and plan to fly at Markham Park). Wind conditions can change a bit during flight (could be 5 mph when you take off and get to a steady 15mph within a few minutes in addition to changing direction). Not really gusty or turbulent but regularly changing (or at least, I did not experience any gusty or turbulent conditions during my lesson). The changing winds only gave me problems with lining up during landings.

The instructor recommends the E-Flite Apprentice but also recommends turn the SAFE technology completely off (he does not want me getting use to flying with stabilization). I'm not sure I want to spend extra money for capabilities I'm not going to use.

I went to a local hobby shop and they suggested the ParkZone T-28 Trojan and an alternative. The big advantage with going with the ParkZone Trojan is that the store carries all the spare parts (I could theoretically build the plane from the spare parts kits) and it was one of the few planes they keep that extensive of spare parts for.

I do want to stick with foam planes that I can easily repair and get parts for from local shops.

I eventually want to fly the FT Delta Wing (lack of landing gear may be a problem at Markham Park), FT Cruiser, and/or QuatShot and am looking at getting the FrSky Taranis X9D for my radio (computer programmer by profession and like the idea of being able to change the firmware of the radio).

Did I get a good or bad recommendation from my local hobby shop and should I consider the ParkZone Trojan for my first plane? Is there any other planes I should consider (do realize that all the local hobby shops I know of use Horizon Hobby for their distributor which limits local part availability for planes)?

Thanks for your opinions and input.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
The PZ trojan is a great plane and easy to fly if you have some experience.
Get someone in the club or an experienced friend to buddy you for the first flight.
Or have someone to check the plane and take it up the first start and trim it before handing you the radio.
5-15 mph wind is no problem for the Trojan. Remember to land into the wind and not from it.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
The PZ Trojan is indeed a great plane if you have had some previous experience as pgerts stated above. I have this plane and it was one of my first and I have bashed it up a lot and now seems to fly better than when it was new. One of my favorites to this day and with your experience I believe that it will be a great plane for you.

I do again agree with pgerts that you should have someone buddy with you on the first flight or 2 so you are comfortable with it.

Good luck and I think you will enjoy the hobby and the plane! Welcome to the forums!

Justin

I actually just purchased the T-28 as my second plane. It is a great plane and is easy to fly. I would definitely recommend this as a first plane. Landings are very easy and crosswind landings are a breeze, just keep on that rudder on a crosswind landing, though. Happy flying!

lonewolf7717

+1 to the second plane suggestion. great second after some basics have been established....perfect first low wing and warbird entry model (yes i know its a "t" trainer).

KRAR

The T28 is an awesome plane... flying the plane is never truly the issue.. landing and taking off are the two hardest part of the RC world for me at least.. I find that it bounces alot during landings and order to avoid this you rather 'plop' the plane down. Anyways if you have any experience or an RC sim you will be fine. It's what I went to after the sim...

NewZee

I have never flown the T28 but have watched many videos of it and am considering buying one myself! it seems like a fairly docile plane, and everyone raves about it! I don't think you can go wrong with it!

The T-28 is a baby to fly. Have a more experienced flyer trim it for you. That will really help you out. I was flying mine tonight. I had forgotten how nice it is to fly.

Thanks,
Brad

dwardio

Ok, I'm going to go against the grain here. Living in a very windy part of Colorado, I understand wanting a heavier plane to "punch through." However, the T-28 (like most warbirds) suffers from a critical flaw-- they are too fast for most beginning pilots, and are completely unforgiving if (when!) you try to slow down. Once you have a solid set of skills, the T-28 makes a great 2nd or 3rd plane.

My first plane was a HZ SuperCub DSM. It's easy to fly, your LHS will stock all its parts, can handle winds up to about 15mph, and is slow enough that you can concentrate on learning what your plane is doing and why. This will make you a much better pilot in the long run. If you still want a bigger plane, go with the Apprentice-- it's a fantastic plane!

About SAFE technology, if you're working with an instructor on a buddy-box it makes sense to turn it off. However, it's a great aid when you're on your own. It's especially good at countering the effects of gusting winds, making take-offs and landings much easier to keep on the centerline. Oh, and HZ is coming out with a SAFE version of the SuperCub this spring...

To put this all another way, the best 1st plane is the one that you'll be able to keep in the air, not on your workbench.

My $0.02 worth -- YMMV

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
NO!

No.jpg

It's a great second or third plane. When you're first learning to fly, you want something light, and slow.

Light because when it crashes, (and YES, no matter how much time you spent on a simulator, or how many episodes of Flite Test you've seen, you will crash) it will have less weight driven inertia to cause damage.

And slow, because you do not have the muscle memory to properly fly without thinking yet.

When you're first learning to fly, simple seeming things are hard. Remembering which way to move the stick when the plane is coming towards you. Which way to correct, when the plane is hit with a gust of wind.

Also as a beginner, you'll be wanting to fly more often, and that means, you'll want to fly places where you really don't have the room to fly something bigger and heavier. The T28 is a great plane for someone with experience, but even that person will have a hard time getting it into an area the size of a baseball diamond without smashing into the fence, or the ground.

Build an old Fogey. It's a great beginner's platform, it will teach you the sticks, and when you crash it, you can rebuild it for a buck or two.

O However, the T-28 (like most warbirds) suffers from a critical flaw-- they are too fast for most beginning pilots, and are completely unforgiving if (when!) you try to slow down.

False! This plane flies really well when flown slow. It is light, and is effected by strong winds, that I do agree with. I had mine up in about 8 mph winds last night and it flew great, and I am not a great pilot.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I vote that both the T-28 and the Apprentice are fantastic planes. I would shoot for an older model Apprentice without the SAFE tech. It's a bit cheaper I believe. The parts will be the same as the new apprentice so you can still get them.

I personally think that the T-28 is a great plane. I think if you are handling an Alpha 40 pretty well, you would do okay with a T-28. It's not going to fly as well as an Alpha and you'll have some crashes but I think it would be a good plane.

As all of the privious posts say, second or third plane. The trojan is pretty fast and lands fast too. My contribution to this thread would be to suggest a bixler if you want a RTF, and a ft flyer if you want a scratch build. The bixler was my second plane, but I wish it was my first. It can land slowly, is cheap, will not outgrow you, and has replacement parts.
-Fin

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Here's what I did FWIW.

I started with the Hobby Zone Super Cub in it's stock format.

You can't not fly that plane perfectly. Good dihedral keeps you flying level, it has enough oomph to battle some wind, and glides like it's on rails. Best part, it's cheap. However I do recommend taking the ACT and smashing it with a hammer before your first flight.

Once I got bored with that (which was fairly quickly) I flattened the wing with a carbon fiber spar and added ailerons (which you can do with the stock RX and a couple servos). It was a whole new flying experience. The plane didn't right itself , I was able to incorporate rudder with aileron, and the BEST part was I got to tinker and modify, learning how to work with foam. (most of the reason I got into this hobby was to tinker).

Once I got used to that (which was fairly quickly.. maybe 10 batteries or so) I upgraded to a brushless power system. That's when this plane REALLY started to shine. Rolls on a rope, unlimted vertical, SCREAMS at WOT, and is gentle as can be when you back off the stick.

In addition to that, replacement parts are EXTREMELY cheap and readily available. All things told I got three "trainer" planes for the price of one and a couple spare parts. Plus, the wingspan is about a foot shorter than the Apprentice, so smaller fields are an option.

My .02 IANAL, YMMV and all that.

My Super Cub in all it's current glory.

SuperCub_zps316333ab.jpg

Conversley if you don't want the expense of the SAFE technology or to be locked into buying the DX5e (which is the reason I passed on the apprentice) you could build your own Apprentice from replacement parts. Apprentice parts are pretty cheap and easy to get. you can have someone help pick out and install the power system that would be best for you, and you could get a "Buy once Cry once" TX you can grow into. Most of all you would learn a unbelievable amount about how your plane works and how to fix it before you even get it in the air.

Food for thought.

Last edited: