is the Turnigy 9x or Flysky 6ch good?

KJ4CCH

I have been flying rc for ten years now, with a six channel futaba skysport (72mhz). I would like to move to 2.4 ghz, but find it hard to justify the 150 dollars for a dx6i. I dont know much about the Turnigy stuff, but i am building my first multirotor, and dont wanna break the bank. I am not one for millions for features, i am looking to just store all my flying toys on ONE transmitter....i hate memorizing my trim settings haha. Plus with a tricopter, i dont have expos, so, i imagine it would be hard to fly. I am a causal flier, just something for me to relive stress.

Should i go with the 9x and do the opentx mod? I bet i can find all the parts for the mod at radioshack. what do yall think? I hear the 9xr isnt built the best, I want something a little robust. But I have yet to drop a TX in my ten years of flying.

I am concerned mainly about the TX quality, and will it bind with them mini helicopters like the blade series, i might venture into them later on in life. ( reason for storing models.)

Is it quality? Will i be crashing my tri because of me losing my rc link? I plan on doing FPV, but not long distance, i have 72mhz for my gental lady, which will be my fpv glider. I want the tri for cool video, (like new years :p )

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Go for the 9X, it has a JR style module bay on the rear so you can go with a suitable module to fly the bind-and-fly models. Programming is easy and there are plenty of tips and setups online if you get lost. Or just ask here.

Bedrock

I agree with xuzme, I have the 9x (used the smartieparts board to upgrade immediately to opentx) and I am very happy with it. There is a slight dilemma however...the stock 9x module binds with lots of cheap chinese helis - the VL911, VL912 and more. Not sure of the blade series (you tube will tell you..) Now this is a good thing, because you can buy cheap helis (from Banggood for example) as Bind and Fly's. But if you want to go to the frysky receiver modules (or other modules) you have to lose the Turnigy transmitter module - because the the stock module is wired in, via the aerial, to the radio body. There is a way around this but it looked very tricky indeed soldering a tiny aerial co-ax cable, so not for me.

The other radio to consider could be the 9xr, no module, comes with opentx and easy to update, 16 model memory...but I have no experience with it..check out the forums for feedback on it. you could also look at the Taranis - if you can wait till stock of them becomes plentiful.

Hope this helps.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
The stock 9x won't bind with the blade series. I will bind with a lot of cheap chinese stuff like some of the hubsan multi's the v911, and 9958 heli's and a good number more but those are all I can remember off the top of my head. It's the "flysky" protocol so it will work with flysky RX's and the HobbyKing/Turnigy RX's.

If you want to bind to the blade series which is DSM (or DSM2 or DSMx) you'd have to get a module to run it. And yes the stock 9x comes with the module hardwired to the internal antenna. When I got mine the first two things I did was add a programming port and move the antenna to the module. It's really not that hard, but it is some fairly fine soldering. I did basically the same setup as this: http://www.hacksmods.com/2011/12/turnigy-9x-antenna-mod/ though I salvaged a bit more of the stock antenna and managed to get it installed on mine without needing to add a screw like he did. It's just two spots to unsolder/resolder after you move the antenna.

As for quality...well, it's a <$100 radio and does feel a little cheap in the hands. But mine has taken quite a bit of abuse and still works like new despite a few scuffs on it so I really can't complain.

For the price it's hard to go wrong. If you don't like it pop it up on ebay and you'll probably get almost full price back out of it.

RoyBro

Mentor
Where are you located? The 9XR is only available from the Hobby King Hong Kong warehouse. If you live in the United States, you can avoid international shipping by buying from the US warehouse. The 9x is available with or without the transmitter module. Buying the Tx module separately costs a little more up front, but you'll end up with a better radio system.

KJ4CCH

Thanks guys, i think the 9x is the best bang for my buck. Is there an frsky model without telemetry? I could not find one :( but thanks for helping me out. I dont think my old equipment would support the use of a multirotor :(

RoyBro

Mentor
Thanks guys, i think the 9x is the best bang for my buck. Is there an frsky model without telemetry? I could not find one :( but thanks for helping me out. I dont think my old equipment would support the use of a multirotor :(

Both the DJT and the XJT modules support telemetry of course. Your choice of receivers determines what telemetry is available. I believe the receivers that begin with "V" don't have telemetry.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I have not seen any modules that aren't telemetry capable, but that doesn't mean you have to use it as telemetry. The receivers without telemetry will still work fine with the DJT or XJT modules. The non-telemetry Rx's are much cheaper as well. On the bright side, once you have the Frsky module, if later on you decide to try the telemetry, you'll be ready and will just need to get a telemetry RX and a display (FLD-02 is $20 at Aloft).

earthsciteach

I am VERY happy with my 9x and FrSky module. I don't use telemetry (yet). The rx's are reasonable enough in price.

KJ4CCH

I have not seen any modules that aren't telemetry capable, but that doesn't mean you have to use it as telemetry. The receivers without telemetry will still work fine with the DJT or XJT modules. The non-telemetry Rx's are much cheaper as well. On the bright side, once you have the Frsky module, if later on you decide to try the telemetry, you'll be ready and will just need to get a telemetry RX and a display (FLD-02 is $20 at Aloft).

I think the opentx can support the telemetry on the small screen on the TX... I am not a a hundred percent sure though. The screen is more than likely much more usable!

Thanks yall, i might buy it this weekend, and hopefully have it next week hahah.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You can put the telemetry on the LCD screen. I have it that way on my 9X. I used the smartie parts boards when I did mine, just to cheat a little...but it takes a little modification otherwise. The firmware alone won't put it there. But you can use their telemetry board as a stand alone if you want to do the flash mod yourself and just use the telemetrEZ board. It's a straight plug in except for 2 wires that would need to go on the MISO and MOSI pads. You can see the installation directions here if you want to take a look.

KJ4CCH

I found a T6exh futaba 72 mhz for the same price.... It is used, but looks almost brand new. They could have put her in a box and i would have never known. the guy wanted 120 bucks, but the shop said they would take 60 :D:D:D:D:D

Anyone think it is a good radio?

Last edited:

RoyBro

Mentor
I found a T6exh futaba 72 mhz for the same price.... It is used, but looks almost brand new. They could have put her in a box and i would have never known. the guy wanted 120 bucks, but the shop said they would take 60 :D:D:D:D:D

Anyone think it is a good radio?

I don't think you'll be as happy with that as with the Turnigy 9x. Not that the T6EXH is a bad radio, but I believe that it will be less capable given it's age. I see some posts about this radio dating back to 2007. I was unable to find any specifications about it's programmability or anything else, for that matter. Before you buy someone else's used equipment, make sure it is exactly what you want. Also make sure the shop will take it back if it turns out that it isn't.

KJ4CCH

most definitally, I am bring everything i have to make sure that it works with my rx's.

I found a manual for her, so I am gonna try and find the features in the radio before i buy it. (so i know this model of the radio has the expo and dual rates i need for the tri.)

I have a ton of 72mhz rx's for my gasers, and ill use the switch for 2.4 for my tricopter, ( ill be flying in more urban areas with that.)

It gives me more funtionality for all my models. But the one thing that kinda bumbs me is the fact it cant support the BnF models :/ but i seen a mod that pluged a spectrum module it into the trainer port...but I think I can do the samething with the orange module. (which is very bulky) ugh it kinda hard to chose... But i am going from my experiance with futaba...if you take good care of them, they WILL last YEARS. I have seen them old than me, and still work. Mine look like crap hahah.) The 72mhz is a big puller for me.

But thanks for you help!!! I really appreciate it! Yall are a very helpful!!!!

I have really been thinking about it though, I can store all my models and use the 72mhz plus the 2.4 for my tri. Which is something the 9x cant do. ( I dont trust the frsky enough with my big gasers, it seems dangerous if it browns out.

Last edited: