Issue with FrySky V8FR-II and EMAX BLHeli 12A ESCs

joshrd78

Issue with FrSky V8FR-II and EMAX BLHeli 12A ESCs

Hey everyone, I'm working on building a FT Super Bee and I've gotten to the point of hooking up the electronics to the receiver. I have a FrSky V8FR-II and I have the power pack A (twin). I've soldered the battery leads from each ESC together onto a XT60 connector. I've configured my Taranis to output the throttle to both CH1 and CH4. The problem I'm having is that when I plug the battery in nothing happens. Neither ESC outputs any beeps. It's almost as if the ESCs don't think a motor is attached.

In playing around here's what I've noticed:

- If I hook the ESCs up to a servo tester in manual mode instead of the receiver everything works fine. Both ESCs output the initialization tones and when I turn the dial on the servo tester both motors spin just fine.

- If I just hook up 1 ESC to the receiver and leave the other one unplugged then everything works fine for the ESC that is plugged in.

- If I hook up both ESCs I've noticed that if I press the F/S (failsafe) button on receiver both ESCs will correctly initialize after that and I can use my transmitter to control both motors.

Based on what I'm seeing (the fact that it works with the servo tester) it makes me believe the receiver is doing something weird that the ESCs don't like. Or more specifically something that they don't like when both are plugged in.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so were you able to fix it?

Thanks in Advanced.

EDITED: To spell FrSky correctly

Last edited:

joshrd78

SOLVED

Hey just wanted to leave a comment that I solved my problem in case someone else runs into a similar issue. I simply moved one of my ESCs from ch1 to ch6 and left the other on ch4. Now everything seems to work just fine.

FYI....My guess is that because the receiver supports FrSkys V8_Mode and D_Mode and because it detects if you're trying to bind in D_mode by looking at ch1 and ch2 signals when power is first applied (you must jumper these 2 for binding in D_Mode) there is something happening on ch1 that causes the ESCs to not initialize properly. It doesn't really explain how the second ESC on ch4 was also failing but hey.....it's working now and hopefully next weekend the weather is good and I can maiden my Super Bee.

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
I just had the same issue and it my receivers were bound in V8 mode and the receivers would not arm my BlHeli 30a ESC. I change to D mode and everything fired up with no issues.