Solved Just bought FT Sea Duck kit.... Where do the wood slats go?!?!?!

psguardian

I'd just search it out, but after 30min I'm fed up with this forums terrible search engine.

The kit came with four strips of wood that approximate paint stirrers. It also came with zero hints as to where they might be used in the build. They're not part of the 6yr old build vid. I imagine they're for wing reinforcement, but the question remains.. Where do they go?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I dont recall using them on the sea duck. Think they're just part of the sort of universal "parts kit" in some of the build kits.

WillL84

I'd just search it out, but after 30min I'm fed up with this forums terrible search engine.

The kit came with four strips of wood that approximate paint stirrers. It also came with zero hints as to where they might be used in the build. They're not part of the 6yr old build vid. I imagine they're for wing reinforcement, but the question remains.. Where do they go?

My Legacy V2 came with a bunch of them too but they're not used anywhere

psguardian

Has anyone added a carbon fiber spars of any kind? Tube, bar, rod, etc?

I want to be able to do all the Baloo maneuvers without worry of eventually fatiguing & folding the wing.

tamuct01

The wooden sticks can be used to reinforce the foam spars. In my Sea Duck, I wanted the wing to be removable for transport, so I replaced the foam/wood spars with square carbon fiber tubes. I made 3D-printed spacer/connectors to be able to slide the removable outer wing panels together and bolt them in place.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
The next time i build the sea duck I'm going that route as well. I want the outter wings removable. As far as the extra reinforcement, its been my experience that a few strips of packing tape to the bottom edge of most standard FT wings will be more than enough for most types of flying. Ive never folded a wing on a sea duck and I've had quite a few flights with substantial payloads using this method.

psguardian

On most i do tape strips or full tape skins, but I'm looking to air brush this one & keep it long term.

Yea I've heard stories about military efficiency lol.

churchjw

The wooden sticks can be used to reinforce the foam spars. In my Sea Duck, I wanted the wing to be removable for transport, so I replaced the foam/wood spars with square carbon fiber tubes. I made 3D-printed spacer/connectors to be able to slide the removable outer wing panels together and bolt them in place.

Would you have some pictures to elaborate? I am working on a different twin boom aircraft and wanting to remove outer wings for transport. Looking for ideas

tamuct01

Would you have some pictures to elaborate? I am working on a different twin boom aircraft and wanting to remove outer wings for transport. Looking for ideas

Sure thing. Below is a picture of the right outer wing panel. I made the joint right at the engine nacelle. (see other pictures). The square carbon fiber tube is 3/8" (10mm). You can see the foam box spar. The stock plane uses nesting foam box spars. I did not use this. I kept the single larger foam box spar design through the whole wing. It's hard to make out in the picture, but inside the foam spar and surrounding the carbon fiber tube is a 3D printed block, about an inch deep that is a spacer to fill the space between the carbon fiber spar and the foam box spar. There are actually 2-3 of these spread through the length of the wing section. You can also see where I cut out the foam on the trailing edge and made a 3D printed block holding a piece of bamboo skewer as a locating pin.

IMG_4546.jpeg IMG_4547.jpeg

Here's the body of the Duck. Just like the wing panels, there is the original foam box spar with my 3d printed block. There is the same 10mm carbon fiber box tube running through the length of the center wing section. You can also see the matching locating block on the trailing edge. The wing is retained by a 3mm bolt (you can't see it, it's on the other side of the nacelle) that runs through the foam, a 3D printed block, the carbon spar from the outer wing section, and out the bottom. The bottom has a 3D printed part with a captive nylock nut to keep anything from vibrating loose.

IMG_4548.jpeg

Here's an incredibly crude drawing of the same. The orange lines are the CF spar, the black shaded bits are 3D printed blocks.

IMG_4550.jpg
I hope this helps. I think I still have the STL files for the coupling parts if you want to go this route.

churchjw

Sure thing. Below is a picture of the right outer wing panel. I made the joint right at the engine nacelle. (see other pictures). The square carbon fiber tube is 3/8" (10mm). You can see the foam box spar. The stock plane uses nesting foam box spars. I did not use this. I kept the single larger foam box spar design through the whole wing. It's hard to make out in the picture, but inside the foam spar and surrounding the carbon fiber tube is a 3D printed block, about an inch deep that is a spacer to fill the space between the carbon fiber spar and the foam box spar. There are actually 2-3 of these spread through the length of the wing section. You can also see where I cut out the foam on the trailing edge and made a 3D printed block holding a piece of bamboo skewer as a locating pin.

View attachment 230791 View attachment 230792

Here's the body of the Duck. Just like the wing panels, there is the original foam box spar with my 3d printed block. There is the same 10mm carbon fiber box tube running through the length of the center wing section. You can also see the matching locating block on the trailing edge. The wing is retained by a 3mm bolt (you can't see it, it's on the other side of the nacelle) that runs through the foam, a 3D printed block, the carbon spar from the outer wing section, and out the bottom. The bottom has a 3D printed part with a captive nylock nut to keep anything from vibrating loose.

View attachment 230793

Here's an incredibly crude drawing of the same. The orange lines are the CF spar, the black shaded bits are 3D printed blocks.

View attachment 230795
I hope this helps. I think I still have the STL files for the coupling parts if you want to go this route.

Wow thank you! I will review more when I get home.