Just received a rejection for FRIA submitted through Flite Test CBO

Just now received a rejection for a small flying site at a local middle school that I submitted through Flite Test CBO. Rejected due to: The request submitted encompasses areas where the public may gather or regularly transit such as public buildings, roads, parking areas and may pose a risk to persons and property on the ground. 14 CFR § 89.215(c), AC 89-3 Section 7.4.

Even though the submission form seemed to recommend simple circles as flying area definitions, apparently those were taken extremely literally by the FAA, and because it crossed a parking lot it was rejected.

As a side note, I am also president of our local AMA club, and ours was also rejected because it crossed a highway (again, we don't fly across the highway, but in the original submission method (now changed) recommended circles if at all possible.

Last edited:

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Just now received a rejection for a small flying site at a local middle school that I submitted through Flite Test CBO. Rejected due to: The request submitted encompasses areas where the public may gather or regularly transit such as public buildings, roads, parking areas and may pose a risk to persons and property on the ground. 14 CFR § 89.215(c), AC 89-3 Section 7.4.

Even though the submission form seemed to recommend simple circles as flying area definitions, apparently those were taken extremely literally by the FAA, and because it crossed a parking lot it was rejected.

As a side note, I am also president of our local AMA club, and ours was also rejected because it crossed a highway (again, we don't fly across the highway, but in the original submission method (now changed) recommended circles if at all possible.
Thanks for the report! I submitted mine as a drawn boundary covering only an open yard and farm fields. I’ll let you know what I hear.

danskis

Master member
Ours was just rejected too - the same CFR was sited. We'll be reapplying with a more limited boundary of our flying site. Be aware you only have 30 days to reapply. We do have a meeting with the AMA representative tomorrow.

FishbonesAir

I worked for a Big Store that shall remain nameless, but you've shopped there. I worked overnight, stocking and such.

If you tell me to do something a certain way, that's how I'll do it. I'll give you my all. But what they said they wanted and what they actually wanted were totally different.

Once I figured out what they really wanted, I went up to being a top performer.

We now know what the FAA actually wants. We ignore the BS we were told, and give them what they want. Or think they want. Use your judgment, and look at the app from the standpoint of a FAA dweeb, who thinks he's overworked, underpaid, misunderstood, and we're The Enemy, causing Him more trouble. Make sure you don't give him any reason to question or even think. Just rubber stamp.

Spitfire222

Not a skater
So, I'm getting back into my park flyer/foamie planes after a few years away and I'm trying to understand all of the new rules. In my city, there's a large local park that the local government itself has approved as an RC plane and model rocket flying area. Can I attempt to apply for a FRIA at this location and select "FliteTest Community Association" as the CBO for it? And then if that is not approved, I'd have to fly there with some kind of RID device on my planes?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
So, I'm getting back into my park flyer/foamie planes after a few years away and I'm trying to understand all of the new rules. In my city, there's a large local park that the local government itself has approved as an RC plane and model rocket flying area. Can I attempt to apply for a FRIA at this location and select "FliteTest Community Association" as the CBO for it? And then if that is not approved, I'd have to fly there with some kind of RID device on my planes?
If the local government is behind it, then applying for FRIA should be much easier. You can select any CBO that you are a member of. FTCA may be the most accessible because they are helping other small groups.

Foamforce

I have a similar situation. My flying field is a county park (Badger Prairie Aeromodelling Park in Madison/Verona WI). Nobody from the park service will return a phone call or email about it, so I’m considering trying to register it as a FRIA on my own. Have you heard of any liability concerns about having my name attached to the application?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I have a similar situation. My flying field is a county park (Badger Prairie Aeromodelling Park in Madison/Verona WI). Nobody from the park service will return a phone call or email about it, so I’m considering trying to register it as a FRIA on my own. Have you heard of any liability concerns about having my name attached to the application?
Individuals cannot do it. FRIAs are for CBOs only. Good news is you can join FTCA and they can help,with registering the FRIA.

Spitfire222

Not a skater
That brings up a good follow-up question: if we list our CBO on the application as FTCA, then what name, address, etc do we put in the relevant fields if not our own as the submitting person?

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Just now received a rejection for a small flying site at a local middle school that I submitted through Flite Test CBO
Hey @ScottInIowa, how did you receive the rejection? Email, snailmail, through FT? Still waiting on my rejection. I'm sure they're not going to like a soybean field in the middle of nowhere.

Hey @ScottInIowa, how did you receive the rejection? Email, snailmail, through FT? Still waiting on my rejection. I'm sure they're not going to like a soybean field in the middle of nowhere.
I got an email from the FAA, addressed to Lee at FT, and copied to me. Interestingly enough, I submitted three flying areas. A middle school. a local city park, and a green space in our neighborhood. The only one I got a rejection on was the school. Nothing back on the other two yet.

Also, I am our local AMA club president, and submitted our AMA field for a FRIA. Initial one was rejected, but AMA helped redraw it and resubmit to FAA, and it was just recently approved. Again, email from FAA addressed to their AMA contact, and copied to me.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I got an email from the FAA, addressed to Lee at FT, and copied to me. Interestingly enough, I submitted three flying areas. A middle school. a local city park, and a green space in our neighborhood. The only one I got a rejection on was the school. Nothing back on the other two yet.

Also, I am our local AMA club president, and submitted our AMA field for a FRIA. Initial one was rejected, but AMA helped redraw it and resubmit to FAA, and it was just recently approved. Again, email from FAA addressed to their AMA contact, and copied to me.
Thanks! Lee had me redraw mine so maybe the first was rejected. Who knows. I've started using the EZID module when I fly anyway. It's kind of a pain on planes that I hadn't planned for access for it.