Just received a rejection for FRIA submitted through Flite Test CBO

Foamforce

I just submitted my FRIA request! I have high hopes for our field, since I found an official map of the area outlining the allowed flying area and replicated that as well as possible. Hope!

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I am genuinely curious how the FAA is going to monitor approved FRIAs in regards to surrounding development etc. Seeing that they are being very picky about roads and etc., once a FRIA is approved, how will they know about construction or other changes that occur later?

We assume they aren't actually doing on site inspection as part of the approval process.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I am genuinely curious how the FAA is going to monitor approved FRIAs in regards to surrounding development etc. Seeing that they are being very picky about roads and etc., once a FRIA is approved, how will they know about construction or other changes that occur later?

We assume they aren't actually doing on site inspection as part of the approval process.
All we have to do is look at how they are investigating the original applications. They call up google maps or google earth and if google has drawn a road line in the fria or they see a structure then the fria is automatically denied even though the "road" line is a private drive, a path to nowhere or erroneously drawn. After all, the maps are on the internet so they must be right.

Taildragger

Legendary member
I wonder how big a fria can be...
There is a lot of desert near me that I like to fly in here and there, but I like to fly in a different part of it every time. It's gotta be like 10 square miles. Maybe just make a fria for all the public land there? :LOL:

Or just ignore it because nobody here cares. For example, one time I was flying FPV at the county fair and a cop came up to me and just thought it was cool.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
All we have to do is look at how they are investigating the original applications. They call up google maps or google earth and if google has drawn a road line in the fria or they see a structure then the fria is automatically denied even though the "road" line is a private drive, a path to nowhere or erroneously drawn. After all, the maps are on the internet so they must be right.
The whole thing is silly - but what should we expect from bureaucrats.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I just received notification that the FRIA site I applied for has been approved.

We are a non AMA "club" just a bunch of guys who enjoy each others company. We applied through the FTCA and can now fly at our local state park.

There is indeed "Hope for the Hobby"