Just VENTING about Corona-HYSTERIA

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That is the people's choice to possibly spread it, and it's the people's choice to stay at home and/or wear a mask and use sanitizer. That's how democracy works. The government is the people, and we elect officials to protect us and see that we get a fair say. If someone were to murder someone with a weapon, that is their choice and every choice comes with a consequence.
The issue with that is that you don't know how many people you could kill just by going through a crowded place. No consequences to you whereas if you went with a gun and shot a bunch of people, then you'd have big consequences. Same thing - people die, but one is intentional and the other is non-intentional and very easily preventable.

OliverW

Legendary member
The issue with that is that you don't know how many people you could kill just by going through a crowded place. No consequences to you whereas if you went with a gun and shot a bunch of people, then you'd have big consequences. Same thing - people die, but one is intentional and the other is non-intentional and very easily preventable.
My point exactly!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
That is the people's choice to possibly spread it, and it's the people's choice to stay at home and/or wear a mask and use sanitizer. That's how democracy works. The government is the people, and we elect officials to protect us and see that we get a fair say. If someone were to murder someone with a weapon, that is their choice and every choice comes with a consequence.

prob is when a guy with a gun walks up and shoots someone we know who did it. when you decide to walk out into public without a mask we don't. you could be "shooting" everyone you see and not know it, and neither would we. your inability to think about others risks us all.

and yes, your actions come with consequences.

me :cool:

OliverW

Legendary member
prob is when a guy with a gun walks up and shoots someone we know who did it. when you decide to walk out into public without a mask we don't. you could be "shooting" everyone you see and not know it, and neither would we. your inability to think about others risks us all.

and yes, your actions come with consequences.

me :cool:
You could also be shooting everyone they know as well! It is a domino effect for sure.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I'm sorry but I think I have to follow the school of thought that if you are in a 2 of 10,000 minority and you expect everyone else to throw away their lives for your safety, that is selfishness. Bravery is the rest of us getting back to work to keep food on the table for all of america even if one more risk factor has been added to our lives. "Flattening the curve" is a good plan but now that we haven't overwhelmed our hospitals, the rest of the story is how do we get to herd immunity? Vaccine or natural spread and I, for one, am not staying locked down for a year in hopes of a vaccine. The part about "Flatten the curve" that isnt being mention is that, in the end, the same number of people get the virus, we just don't get it all at once...

Dont take life too seriously, none of us make it out alive... 😉

Hondo76251

Legendary member
And on another note, if we are going to count the terminal cancer patients, the guy in a coma for 5 years, and a 95 year old woman on dialysis as covid deaths, we need to include the cost of the damages caused by this outbreak of "civil unrest" as part of the overall cost of this pandemic. Sure there was a brutal, inexcusable tragedy executed by an exemplary example of the dangers of a "police state" that initiated the protests but you cant tell me that the overall state of our society as a whole due to this pandemic isnt a significant factor...

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
Im curious to see if there will be a major spike in the pandemic due to the 100's of thousands that are in extremely close proximity rioting
most are only wearing mask to prevent facial recognition because I see most have their noses uncovered if they are wearing masks and many are not wearing masks

apparently it takes a week to two weeks to begin to show symptoms, 48hrs and its been a week...... I have a feeling we wont see the spike we were told to be expecting
twocents.gif

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
facts show, its us old people at risk, I can tell you this we are NOT so self centered to think the entire country should be shut down for us
heard immunity is required or we will be on a merry go round

we MOST at risk are retired and can stay at home if we are not healthy enough and we can decide for ourselves to go out or not.

I can also tell you this......
WE DONT WANT YOU SHUTTING DOWN THE COUNTRY WE NEED YOU TO GET YOUR ASSES BACK TO WORK TO PAY YOUR TAXES LIKE WE HAVE SO WE GET OUR SOCIAL SECURITY WE PAID INTO OUR ENTIRE LIVES.....its your turn..... step up

dont use us old people as an excuse we are not snowflakes
twocents.gif

Hondo76251

Legendary member
most are only wearing mask to prevent facial recognition because I see most have their noses uncovered if they are wearing masks and many are not wearing masks

My problem with masks, aside from my libertarian beliefs that the government should not use threat of violence to compel people to wear something, is that they are only effective if worn properly and I bet 95% of people do not wear them properly. If we use the thought that I, a potentially contagious asymptomatic carrier, am wearing a mask for the safety of others, and if I breath in that mask then it has been contaminated. If I touch that mask, even with gloves, then touch something else, I've spread contamination. That's just one of 100 ways I've seen people using the masks wrong which means that, even if the masks themselves are effective, they will not work.

Timmy

Legendary member
My problem with masks, aside from my libertarian beliefs that the government should not use threat of violence to compel people to wear something, is that they are only effective if worn properly and I bet 95% of people do not wear them properly. If we use the thought that I, a potentially contagious asymptomatic carrier, am wearing a mask for the safety of others, and if I breath in that mask then it has been contaminated. If I touch that mask, even with gloves, then touch something else, I've spread contamination. That's just one of 100 ways I've seen people using the masks wrong which means that, even if the masks themselves are effective, they will not work.
They are better than nothing I guess

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Do you want the government to enforce something that's
better than nothing I guess

And if I dont, am I to be arested? And if I resist?

I honestly dont know what's the best answer and neither does anyone else. That's the beauty of the system we have. That, to me, is the best thing Trump has done in this; to honor the system we have and let the individual states and local governments handle it as they see fit. What is appropriate for NY is not going to work here and vice versa. Assess your risk locally and behave accordingly.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
This is possibly a bit late but I would like to point out that "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" is not in the Constitution. It is in the Declaration of Independence but is not mentioned anywhere in the Constitution.
The Constitution does say this though, I read the entire thing yesterday:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The Supreme Court of Wisconsin addressed this issue when it overturned the Wisconsin quarantine.

As for masks I think people are putting a bit too much faith in them. A 3M dust mask is designed to stop dust. A typical sawdust particle is big enough to be measured on a ruler with the naked eye. A virus is only a few microns across, a dust mask simply isn't rated to stop pathogens that size and won't make much of a difference. Plus they don't have a good seal either.
In short it just seems like the modern equivalent of 1950's "Duck and Cover" drills.

If there is a real concern about safety then go to your local Army/Navy store and pick up an NBC mask, you can get Israeli or old Russian ones for pretty cheap. I personally own several. The filter will have multiple HEPA filters, sometimes a contained asbestos filter layer, and activated charcoal. They'll stop pretty much anything, including CS Agent which is a nice bonus.

A guy on Dennis Prager's show, I can't remember his name, had a good way of putting it. I'm paraphrasing a bit but here it is: "Guys working in trades tend to handle danger differently than others; they're surrounded by danger every day and it's a necessary part of their jobs. Any power tool has the capability to maim or kill; when a carpenter goes to use a table saw that saw can easily kill him. There is a safer way to do the job- he could use a hand saw and be almost completely safe from any injury. He's got 48 boards to rip though. If he used a hand saw it would take him years. So here's what he does: the carpenter acknowledges the danger and takes precautions to avoid injury. He puts on gloves and safety glasses and makes sure he's using the machine correctly, maybe if it's a small piece he uses a tool to keep his hands away from the blade. Then he starts up the table saw.
It's time for America to start up the table saw."

"Corpse"

Legendary member
This is possibly a bit late but I would like to point out that "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" is not in the Constitution. It is in the Declaration of Independence but is not mentioned anywhere in the Constitution.
The Constitution does say this though, I read the entire thing yesterday:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The Supreme Court of Wisconsin addressed this issue when it overturned the Wisconsin quarantine.

As for masks I think people are putting a bit too much faith in them. A 3M dust mask is designed to stop dust. A typical sawdust particle is big enough to be measured on a ruler with the naked eye. A virus is only a few microns across, a dust mask simply isn't rated to stop pathogens that size and won't make much of a difference. Plus they don't have a good seal either.
In short it just seems like the modern equivalent of 1950's "Duck and Cover" drills.

If there is a real concern about safety then go to your local Army/Navy store and pick up an NBC mask, you can get Israeli or old Russian ones for pretty cheap. I personally own several. The filter will have multiple HEPA filters, sometimes a contained asbestos filter layer, and activated charcoal. They'll stop pretty much anything, including CS Agent which is a nice bonus.

A guy on Dennis Prager's show, I can't remember his name, had a good way of putting it. I'm paraphrasing a bit but here it is: "Guys working in trades tend to handle danger differently than others; they're surrounded by danger every day and it's a necessary part of their jobs. Any power tool has the capability to maim or kill; when a carpenter goes to use a table saw that saw can easily kill him. There is a safer way to do the job- he could use a hand saw and be almost completely safe from any injury. He's got 48 boards to rip though. If he used a hand saw it would take him years. So here's what he does: the carpenter acknowledges the danger and takes precautions to avoid injury. He puts on gloves and safety glasses and makes sure he's using the machine correctly, maybe if it's a small piece he uses a tool to keep his hands away from the blade. Then he starts up the table saw.
Agreed!

Plus, now I feel stupid for forgetting that phrase was in the Declaration of independence. Good catch. ;)

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I'm sorry but I think I have to follow the school of thought that if you are in a 2 of 10,000 minority and you expect everyone else to throw away their lives for your safety, that is selfishness. Bravery is the rest of us getting back to work to keep food on the table for all of america even if one more risk factor has been added to our lives. "Flattening the curve" is a good plan but now that we haven't overwhelmed our hospitals, the rest of the story is how do we get to herd immunity? Vaccine or natural spread and I, for one, am not staying locked down for a year in hopes of a vaccine. The part about "Flatten the curve" that isnt being mention is that, in the end, the same number of people get the virus, we just don't get it all at once...

Dont take life too seriously, none of us make it out alive... 😉
This sounds so much like my Dad, It's hilarious. Good post!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yeah, but the carpenter is the only one to get hurt by the table saw - his actions come with a consequence to himself only. Whereas if someone goes out and does whatever they want because it's their "right" they can infect many many people with zero consequence to themself. You're risking other's lives for your own benefit.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I honestly dont know what's the best answer and neither does anyone else. That's the beauty of the system we have. That, to me, is the best thing Trump has done in this; to honor the system we have and let the individual states and local governments handle it as they see fit. What is appropriate for NY is not going to work here and vice versa. Assess your risk locally and behave accordingly.
Very very true. That's why we need to accept the advice from the experts. Are the medical experts encouraging people to go out and protest? I don't recall so.

OliverW

Legendary member
Yeah, but the carpenter is the only one to get hurt by the table saw - his actions come with a consequence to himself only. Whereas if someone goes out and does whatever they want because it's their "right" they can infect many many people with zero consequence to themself. You're risking other's lives for your own benefit.
Ageeed