Kit or scratch tiny trainer

DWH

I am looking to build tiny trainer to teach kids to fly. Would dollar tree foam hold up well should I get the kit. Wil one last longer than the other.

Bo123

Elite member
Kits are easier to build, and quicker, but a little more expensive. They both have the same strength really, so its a matter of convenience.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
I've only ever done scratch builds and have only used DTFB in all of them. My current oldest plane is a Mig3 at 3 years old and has been crashed 6 or 7 times. Fortunately, the old gal has been an easy repair each time, but her last flight is coming as they all do sooner or later.

Also, the FT theme at the beginning was to be affordable for the masses to get people into the hobby. All of their first planes were designed specifically around the use of DTFB.

Gray Harlequin

My scratch built simple cub is coming up on 4 years and still doing well. If built per the build videos, it is very strong. One thing to watch out for is moisture. Raw DTFB does not like getting wet. I sealed the exposed cut edges using the hot glue technique that Flite Test recommends. I also put packing tape on the lower surfaces to help protect them when flying from a grass field (dew, etc.).

DWH

Thanks. I live in california and we don't get a lot of dew or moisture this time of year. However I like the idea of tape on bottom

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
if your just starting out... and crashing as much as I did getting started... I wouldn't get to attached to your first build (or two, or three). I have build at least 6 TT fuselages between me and my oldest learning to fly - and this was after damage hit the point were I couldn't just patch them...

So, my take on scratch build vs kit is -> if you have lots of free time (or really enjoy building) - scratch build, but if you have more $ then free time, get a kit (or two).