Hello! Mighty Mini Zero + FT Aura Lite new build

SupraGuy

Hi everyone!

So back a couple months ago I bought a Mighty Mini zero speed build kit, and Power Pack F.

It's built now, but just to test the waters some I also scratch built a Tiny Trainer to get back into flying. The last time I had an RC aircraft was in the 1980s, so to say "it's been a while" is an understatement. Somewhere in the garage is a box of largely scrap balsa and some nitro gas motors that probably won't even turn over without some major overhauling.

My first attempt with the Tiny Trainer was ... less than impressive. It's got a Power Pack A, but even trying a short straight and level flight didn't work out well.

So I figured that with the Zero, I'd try installing the Aura 5 Lite.

Then I opened up the hatch and remembered that I had trouble fitting the receiver in that little cavity under the spar, let alone even trying to fit the Aura. (I'm using a FlySky FS-ia6B receiver, which I think can be connected to the Aura, if I can figure out how to get both in there.

I don't mind taking a risk with the dollar store foam board, but the kit is less easy to replace parts with, so I thought that some stabilization would be a good thing. Meanwhile I'll keep practicing with the trainer..

Anyhow, in the meantime, how am I supposed to fit the Aura 5 Lite and a receiver in that little space?

It looks like the Aura is supposed to be installed with the component side up, but of course the cavity in the Zero looks like it would be upside down if I used the supplied foam tape. Is there a profile for the Aura that works this way?

dap35

Elite member
Hi everyone!

So back a couple months ago I bought a Mighty Mini zero speed build kit, and Power Pack F.

It's built now, but just to test the waters some I also scratch built a Tiny Trainer to get back into flying. The last time I had an RC aircraft was in the 1980s, so to say "it's been a while" is an understatement. Somewhere in the garage is a box of largely scrap balsa and some nitro gas motors that probably won't even turn over without some major overhauling.

My first attempt with the Tiny Trainer was ... less than impressive. It's got a Power Pack A, but even trying a short straight and level flight didn't work out well.

So I figured that with the Zero, I'd try installing the Aura 5 Lite.

Then I opened up the hatch and remembered that I had trouble fitting the receiver in that little cavity under the spar, let alone even trying to fit the Aura. (I'm using a FlySky FS-ia6B receiver, which I think can be connected to the Aura, if I can figure out how to get both in there.

I don't mind taking a risk with the dollar store foam board, but the kit is less easy to replace parts with, so I thought that some stabilization would be a good thing. Meanwhile I'll keep practicing with the trainer..

Anyhow, in the meantime, how am I supposed to fit the Aura 5 Lite and a receiver in that little space?

It looks like the Aura is supposed to be installed with the component side up, but of course the cavity in the Zero looks like it would be upside down if I used the supplied foam tape. Is there a profile for the Aura that works this way?
If you use the Aura config tool (MS Windows PC app), you can change the orientation of the board in the plane. I put one in a mini scout when I first started...I ended up putting it where the pilot would normally go.

SupraGuy

1000004706.jpg

This is the trainer, shortly after completion. The black foam board cuts very nicely on the diode laser, much easier than the white stuff. Since this photo, I re-built the whole fuselage, but the 3ch wing has survived intact.

I haven't taken any shots of the zeros, because I have not yet painted them. I haven't decided if I'm going to try to match the aotake colour or go with the later naval grey. Or just do what most of the kits do and go with a base green. Probably that, since it's easier...