Landing gear configuration (help)

Diesel dude

Inspired by the flite test franken plane, I decided to use up some parts of old planes to make another. I don't have a spare fuselage, so that is the only part I designed and built myself. Looking at the basic shape of the plane, I think that a tricycle landing gear configuration would look great. The problem is this is a low winged aircraft, and I don't want to butcher the wing to install main gear. I noticed on all tricycle configuration planes, the main gear is always just behind the COG to allow the plane to pivet. If the main gear wheels were underneath the trailing edge of the wing, would the plane still be able to pivet?
Should I just stick with the common tail wheel set up.
Thanks in advance, diesel dude.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Inspired by the flite test franken plane, I decided to use up some parts of old planes to make another. I don't have a spare fuselage, so that is the only part I designed and built myself. Looking at the basic shape of the plane, I think that a tricycle landing gear configuration would look great. The problem is this is a low winged aircraft, and I don't want to butcher the wing to install main gear. I noticed on all tricycle configuration planes, the main gear is always just behind the COG to allow the plane to pivet. If the main gear wheels were underneath the trailing edge of the wing, would the plane still be able to pivet?
Should I just stick with the common tail wheel set up.
Thanks in advance, diesel dude.

Most likely, yes. Although all things being equal it will take more downforce on the elevator to rotate the aircraft, and that translates to a higher ground speed needed to rotate. You might find that the aircraft has the tendency to "launch" itself into the air if the rotation speed is significantly higher than the stall speed.

One thing that will mitigate that would be to install the mains and nosewheel such that the aircraft already has a slightly positive AOA. This way she will start to climb when she reaches a flying speed and you may not need to "manually" rotate her.

Just my thoughts though... I'm no Aeronautical engineer.

Diesel dude

Thanks for the reply.
I had considered keeping a positive angle of attack by extending the nose wheel, but when it comes to landing, you don't want the nose wheel to touch down first.
Fortunately, my fuse large has a long tail which would help with piveting.
There must be a sweet spot though, the plane must land at a higher AOA than is required to take off.
I will try the tricycle setup, and if it fails, I will have learned something.