Landing without gear

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
So, most planes on here seem to be hand-toss no gear planes. How do you guys land without breaking props? I thought I should dead-stick it to bring it in without blowing my prop but turns out that doesn't help either as nothing keeps the prop from stopping with one blade pointing down...

So, low throttle? Or was dead-stick right but I got unlucky? :black_eyed:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
For me, for a belly landing I cut throttle some time before "impact" and flair as I touch down. It can be hard to gage flair -- too soon and it pops up with some altitude into a stall, too late and you're already on the ground -- and some planes don't take to it at all, but it's a critical prop-saving skill.

The only plane I've had significant issue with it is a tractor wing -- a SEMFF Stingray. great flying plane, but the motor almost always catches on landing, regardless of the flair. On that plane I use a prop saver, which works well, but invariably the prop has popped off the mount on landing. Only huge downside to that is that I really need to limit that prop mount to 100W . . . which for that power system menas I've got to be stingy on the throttle (I've had it throw the prop pulling oddball stunts at WOT -- from which I could glide it home, but never found the prop).

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
1 - try to find a better quality prop like APC or something similar that wont break at first landing.
2- try to stop the prop horisontal - you might need some short puffs with the trottle stick.

SnowRocker88

Amateur pilot and builder
Thanks for the tips guys. Yea, the blades came from an Amazon vendor. Man, they came in good time but they're thin and brittle. I ordered some folding props from HK so hopefully this problem will go away soon.

Last edited: