Let's Duet

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
As I have posted elsewhere, I destroyed my first plane (a Champ) very quickly with no reallly successful flights. Gorilla Glue on a servo sealed its fate (although I have the parts to fix it).

I had a Duet sent to my parents for our summer vacation. There are sevral nice fields near their house and I got the Duet flying right away. I lost control a few times but was able to glide the plane down safely. Soon I was doing loops (on purpose) and keeping the plane aloft as long as I wanted. I was enjoying the plane and the neighbors and family watched me fly.

I took the plane out and got hit by some high winds, lost control of it but got the plane down in a neighbors field. Walking back I started a dangerous game. I flew the plane low over the driveway into the wind. It was a good test of elevator and steering but a sudden gust caused my first damage, a little but of nose damage.

Later, after a few beers I decided to see if I get do an inverted loop. Don't try that at home kids. The plane stuck hard with lots of damage but seemed to function.

Out came the glue.

The next day the plane wouldn't initialize. It would just tick-tick-tick. I thought maybe it there was something on contoller and cut it out, but it was clean. Later I tried to rebind and it worked!!. The elevator needs some tuning but I was able to fly it and get it down safely.

I still am very happy with the plane.

Capt_Beavis

I forgot to add how much i appreciate this forum and site. The advice I have gotten so far has been priceless.

LunarModz

Much like you i am starting my air adventures with the Duet and the Champ. Both of mine are still flying, both with some repairs. I enjoy flying both of them, but am starting to prefer the Champ over the Duet. I feel like with the true rudder i have a lot better turn response both on throttle and dead stick.
Dont get me wrong, i have 4 batteries that i charge up and run 2 through both planes everytime. the more and more i fly these guys makes me start craving some Ailerons for more indepth flight. Just FYI, i have read that the Micro T-28 will bind to your champ transmitter...will have the same range but could be a stop gap until you get an upgraded transmitter...thats my thought process anyway!

Capt_Beavis

the balance is almost restored now, it is now a little tail heavy, a bit more than I can trim out, but I had a good long flight and several good landings today.

LunarModz

on mine, i have to make sure the battery is as far forward in the slot as possible. that made a huge difference itself on both the Duet and the Champ for me.

Landings are always fun for me, and i like to do them deadstick (champ's rudder helps do that alot easier) but unfortunately where i fly i dont have a runway suitable for the tiny gear these planes have so they have been belly landings only. but on the flip side of that, in this pasture with knee tall grass, i can spike the plane and it never actually hits the ground...ive tried it a couple times, haha.

Capt_Beavis

Yeah, I mostly land in grass too, I like the belly landings. Unfortunately the park where I was flying the champ had very short grass. Here are some pics of the repairs. Unfortunately it has been hot and gusty where I am staying and I have only gotten one good, early morning flight in. The rest have been short battles with the breeze.

IMG_1214.JPG IMG_1215.JPG IMG_1216.JPG IMG_1217.JPG

LunarModz

Yours has some scars for sure! I actually got 2 batteries worth in this evening. That duet makes a beautiful sihloutte against a sunset!

LunarModz

Duet1.jpg

Here is a pic of my handy work. The fuse snapped off right under where the Vert stab backs up against the fuse. as well as the vert stab being knocked off. Hot glue on the surfaces then ran a bead along the seams and she has been flying just fine. was worried about adding the weight to the tail but it hasnt affected it negatively to my noob flying, haha