Lets have a discussion anout RX that support sat, and S.bus.

jipp

So im looking into what other options there are for RX for the DX6i spectrum TX. i have 3 more lemon 6ch feather RX's in my bin for future builds.. the only issue i have with them is the fact that they are not very well protected. i did sorta encase the one on my ZMR frame in hot glue as recommended to protect the antenna from breaking off.. i got a little carried away and just glued it up.. so i do not see any issues with that in a crash, its Velcro in too just in case i need to bind it. but its ugly.. compared to a nice plastic box some of the other RX come in for example..

Orange RX R650 DSM2 6CH Fail Safe.JPG
Orange Rx R620 6Ch 2.4Ghz failsafe

I understand this has the basic function that the lemon 6ch RX has. It also comes with provisions for Satellite connections, and S.Bus.

here is the sat. module for it:

OrangeRx R100 Sat.JPG
Details about OrangeRx R100 Satellite Receiver.

so help me understand what the sat option adds to the regular RX please.. and also when and what would you use the S.Bus option for too.. about the only thing i know of S.Bus is its a futaba invention? or their protocol?

so lets assume the FC supports these options. also one more thing while im at it. if the RX has a failsafe too. Would this be a good thing for MR, or would it cause problems with the software failsafe. how does it work?

i understand how the fail safe in the software works now.

thank you guys/gals.
chris.

mpbiv

Interesting.....

That is a weird receiver setup. I wasn't aware that a DSM2 receiver with S.BUS even existed.

Well being a Futaba guy, I can tell you a little about S.BUS. It is basically a communication protocol designed by Futaba. It is similar to PPM or CPPM in that one signal is used to control several channels (up to 16 I think). There are a few flight controllers out there that work with S.BUS RX connection right out of the box, mainly the Sparky and BrainFPV (and probably some other Tau Labs or Open Pilot boards). The DJI stuff, like the Naza and Wookong also work with S.BUS. The Naze32 does not support S.BUS unless you add something like an FrSKY S.BUS to CPPM adapter.

In regards to satellite receivers in conjunction with a normal receiver, well I believe the idea is that you would place the satellite somewhere on the craft where reception to the normal receiver might be blocked or diminished by the frame or antenna orientation. The idea is to increase the ability of the receiver to receive signals from the transmitter. To be honest, I haven't seen any brand other than Spektrum use satellite receivers on a regular basis. None of the Futaba receivers use satellites. None of the FrSky receivers appear to use satellites either.

As far as I understand, it is fail safe mode in the receiver that is used to trigger fail safe in the flight controller. Therefore you have to have a receiver capable of fail safe mode to even use the fail safe on the flight controller. On all my Naze32 setups, I have the fail safe set up in my receivers to drop the pulse width into the 900ms range if it loses signal, and then the Naze32 hits its fails safe mode if it sees anything less than 1000ms input from the receiver.

jipp

in GCS for OP it uses what they call a fail safe anyhow, if the RX loses single with in whatever time you set it too.. then it kills the motors and falls to the ground like a brick assuming i understand this stuff correctly.., however, as far as i know the lemon 6ch feather Rx does not have a built in failsafe..

so now im more confused than i was before.

i sorta get the idea of the satellite i guess. would it be safe to say its for more long range stuff?

chris.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Well, failsafe is a function of both the RX and the flight controller. Most of the time, they need to work together. F/C failsafe usually is triggered by a loss of PPM or PWM input or a S.BUS failsafe message. You can also have a F/C trigger failsafe if a channel such as throttle goes below a certain PWM level.

Some RX's allow you to program/select a type of failsafe (no output, custom output, output last input) -- you just need to watch out for the RX's that do the "hold last input" type of failsafes.

Incidentally, I run a Pixhawk/PX4 on S.BUS with FrSky RX's and also a Flip32 (naze32 variant) on S.BUS with cleanflight. No PPM converter; although, for the naze32, an inverter MIGHT be necessary. Since I hacked a X4R (non SBUS variant) which actually has an SBUS output, and soldered a wire to the SBUS output before the inverter, I can connect it directly to the Flip32 without an inverter.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
There is a bit of mis information being shared here. I am bit busy reply right now but hopefully someone like Jhitesma can answer for me.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
There is a bit of mis information being shared here. I am bit busy reply right now but hopefully someone like Jhitesma can answer for me.

I didn't mean to misinform. I should say I don't have experience with CC3D/OpenPilot/Taulabs, so I can't address those systems, but from my experience with Spektrum/LemonRX, FrSky D16 TX/RX's, and DeviationTX/Devo8S stuff, what I wrote above fits.

One of my LemonRX RX's have programmable failsafe, in particular, this model: http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=99

All of my FrSky X series RX's have programmable failsafes.

None of the Spektrum RX's I use have a programmable failsafe, but one can sometimes get around it depending on your flight board. APM for instance can detect failsafe based on throttle going below a certain PWM level. If you set your TX trims/subtrims to a low value on throttle, BIND with the RX, then reset the trims back to normal, when you lose signal between the TX and RX, the throttle will fall below 1000 pwm, and APM can be configured to see that as a "failsafe event" -- they call it throttle failsafe.

The one Devo/Devention RX I do have doesn't have a programmable failsafe, but is hardcoded to kill throttle, and pull full right aileron on loss of signal. That works great on sailplanes/fixed wing, but not so useful for multirotors unless you want it to just fall out of the sky. Not easy to setup RTL, etc. on those boards that do implement their own failsafe. This is what I meant by RX's and Flight Controllers need to work together.

Last edited:

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
No big issues but a few minor incorrect points. The idea with adding sat receivers to a standard reciever is diversity. If one antenna is blocked from getting a signal due to carbon or so forth, having another sat receiver somewhere else incresases the likelihood that at least one will pick up the signal.

You don't need to have both FC and receiver failsafe to have a workable failsafe on the Naze or a Cleanflight/Baseflightboard. A sat receiver has no failsafe settings. When it looses signal it goes below 1000ús and once it goes below the preset failsafe set in Cleanflight then the failsafe functions go into action. If you have both a full receiver with failsafe and Cleanflight you still want to set both. If the receiver goes into failsafe it goes into your preset functions but still sends a signal to the FC above 1000ús so the FC doesn't see a failsafe situation. If your receiver wires disconnect, then the FC will see a failsafe situation as it goes below 1000ús. If you have you failsafe set to hold last position and the recover disconnects then bye bye quad. Note that the 1000ús figure is dependent on the failsafe setting you have set.

S.Bus was developed by Futaba and I believe is a proper digital signal (like the signal spek sat's communicate) and are more accurate than PPM/CPPM although yes they do basically the same thing. If you look at the the receiver tab in Cleanflight with a PPM receiver you will see the signals jump around. You don't see that with a Spek sat or S.Bus. S.Bus can connected to anything including a Naze that doesn't natively accept S.Bus signals by either buying or making a simple signal inverter. I am awaiting some OrangeRX S.Bus receivers to test and will be removing the servo pins and installing the signal inverter there so the receiver will be Naze ready and also smaller than stock.

Last edited:

jipp

thank you for the feed back.. i may buy the Orange RX/sat for my next project.. as im gonna be investing a bit more money into it.. compared to my ZMR kit which was 139.00

but im happy i went with it.. i think im gonna be going with CC3D for my next build too.. however, since the frame im gonna be using is not on the GCS software template which is used to get you in the ball park and flying quick.. great for beginners i think.. unless your frame is not on the list.. then i guess you would pick the motors/weight of the quad in the template to get you in the ball park..

i will find out i guess.. im not sure if GCS has the same options to deal with S.bus, or sat.. i do know the CC3D FC is setup to use it.. just not sure how the software side deals with it yet..
i guess im gonna be digging in much deeper for my next build for every thing.. which is good. must learn more.

however if i can not figure it out, ill just flash it with the clean flight software, or maybe tau and james can help.
time will tell.

i thought about just buying a naze33 acro board since everything iv read at this point the extra stuff the more expensive naze board has is not all that accurate for the robot stuff.. so why pay more money for it when other boards would be better suited for that.
i dunno, maybe i should spend money on a brainFPV.. or hell maybe sparky 2 will be out.. as my next build is gonna be a larger investment in money and quality of hardware.

chris.

p.s

if you will be playing withe OrangeRX/sat.. i will be sure to wait for your thoughts on it before i spend money on it..as i do have several of the 6ch lemon feather light RX which do work ( just have to zip them up with hot glue for some added protection as they do not have a neat box ).. just not setup for the more advance 1 wire setup.. nor sat. not sure how that 1 wire thing works yet.. so much to learn, so much more practicing in the air too.. but its fun, so bring it on.

Last edited: