Let's talk about chuck gliders

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
This is completely off topic, but everyone asks, every time he shows up, so here's the famous bird of the Finn household:

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
This is a trick for flapped gliders that I learned from watching the videos of European F1N contests. It seems to work really well and makes the models easier to trim for a good glide transition while also improving glide performance. I saw a 25% increase in best glide time from the first model in this video by making that one change. Unfortunately the benefit doesn't show in the video because the humidity started rising and that model got really unhappy. The second model also showed a boost in performance, from a best time of 29 seconds up to 34 seconds.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Another trimming video...it's intended as instructions for a specific model, but the techniques are the same as for any flapped glider, so I figure it's useful to the broader free flight glider community. And besides, you get to hear one of my sons pitch a temper tantrum while I'm trying to fly an airplane!

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Graham from the Granddadisanoldman channel produced a really impressive cardboard glider. I had my doubts that it would fly even remotely well, but as you can see, he absolutely rocked this one out. Take a look:

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Now for some humor. Most epic Chinglish ever!

And yes, I'm cutting bigger and bigger stuff on this thing...DTFB is coming. :)

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Tiny, cute, and you can build your own from the free plans. Or buy one.

These are called F1N-150 gliders since they are limited to 150mm span. You can fly them outside or inside. About as good as it gets!

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Now for some footage of a real pro flying gliders. This is Bill Gowen putting up a perfect flight on his Yashinskiy glider.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
When you get really good service, you should pass along to others who those great vendors are. So here's my take on that plus the answers to a bunch of the "where can I buy [x]?" questions:

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Build video is live for the Micro Protege! I was hoping to have the trimming video up by now, but no such luck with my slow internet.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
This isn't really a sport model, being specifically designed for Science Olympiad contests, but I think it makes for interesting viewing anyway. This is my Super Protege glider flying indoors:

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Probably the most important video I've made about gliders is the one on trimming them. Right behind it, however, is this one, on fixing the broken ones. They all get broken eventually. And you can fix almost anything.

bracesport

Legendary member
@FAI-F1D - I built a chuck glider a while back based on the ‘sweetpea 24”’ I think it was called? I’ll have a hunt around for the plan as it flew very nicely.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
@FAI-F1D - I built a chuck glider a while back based on the ‘sweetpea 24”’ I think it was called? I’ll have a hunt around for the plan as it flew very nicely.

That name does ring a bell. Pretty sure it's a proven bird. Good to hear you've had success with it. Please do post anything you have on your exploits with it. :)

bracesport

Legendary member
@FAI-F1D - I dug out the plan that we improvised with and here is the thread for some flights - the plane is gone now, but I have plans to have another go - sweepette_28 hand glider

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 4.10.04 PM.png

Last edited:

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
@FAI-F1D - I dug out the plan that we improvised with and here is the thread for some flights - the plane is gone now, but I have plans to have another go - sweepette_28 hand glider

Ah! One of my highest honors in aviation is being able to call Lee Hines a friend. He may quite possibly be the greatest hand launch fliers in history.

In talking about his hand launch designs recently he told me that in his opinion, the 28 is the best of all of them. Stay tuned on that as I'm working on a project with Lee that's pretty exciting. :)

bracesport

Legendary member
@FAI-F1D - keep me in the loop! (PM me any time)!

I have been hoping the RC would stick for my 5yr old, but probably asking a bit too much, so In the back of my mind I have been thinking to revisit the chuck glider!

I still have that classic hot liner you need one day!

Cool! I've really been getting into free flight gliders lately. Here's one of my better attempts.
Not as good as some of the crazy stuff on here but we had a lot of fun, and I was pretty happy with it.

NighthawkGliders

Enjoy Flight & Enjoy Life
Cool! I've really been getting into free flight gliders lately. Here's one of my better attempts.
Not as good as some of the crazy stuff on here but we had a lot of fun, and I was pretty happy with it.
@Deanoseadog, that’s a great buttery-smooth flight! Well done! We’re happy you’re enjoying flight and enjoying life! Welcome to free flight!

Brad
Nighthawk Gliders