LiFe battery in a multirotor?

KJ4CCH

I was looking around, and found a video of a guy who made a quad fly on a LiFe battery.

I am sorry I could not find the video, but from what i have read about liFe batteries, i want one.

The quad I seen was a small, but I would not call it micro. maybe 30cm arms? I seen the video on one of the review pages of a motor i was looking at. I seen a LiFe battery that allowed for 34 amps draw....with 3200mah. Would it be possible to use one? I dont know much about LiFe batteries, but if it lasts over 1000 cycles like i been reading, it would pay for itself. plus they look smaller!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
The biggest issue that I am aware of to use them as a power battery driving motors is that when the voltage drops, its gone! In a multi rotor I would think this would not be a good thing as it turns from an aircraft to a rock.

I use one in my 59" Edge 540 as the battery for my receiver and servo's but lipo for my motor as it is an electric. I can get numerous flights on it just driving servos and the rx, but I do not think I would use one for a main battery because of the voltage drop as sudden as I understand they do.

Hopefully someone else will chime in that knows a little more about the different battery chemistries, but this is my understanding of them.

KJ4CCH

haha i had no idea, I wonder how that guy did it in the video, ill post it if i find it...

vk2dxn

I know blokes are using 18650 life's with awesome flight times.
Was this what you where referring to?

KJ4CCH

I know blokes are using 18650 life's with awesome flight times.
Was this what you where referring to?

I guess, i seen that gen ace offers a liFe battery that is 3200 at 20c. That is like 64 amps. The copter I am looking at building only uses half that. hmm i dont know, maybe ill test it later on when I get everything built.

i would not mind paying 30 bucks for a battery that will last 500 plus cycles, plus not have to worry about cells this and all this nonsense. I mean, for a brand name lipo 3200 i might be paying the same or even more. The 2100 at 20 c offers 42 amps, which my tricopter should pout out 36 amps (in that area.)

Last edited:

vk2dxn

The blokes that are running the 18650's are using low kV motors with large props "17in etc".
The 18650's are cheap and are easily found on line.
I run this type of life in my led torch that I ordered from dealextream

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
LiFe and LiPo are manufactured differently if they are made for high current or long lasting at low current.
You can normally not use the same battery in your radio transmitter or receiver as you use to your motor - or the other way.

LiFe are used for power tools and those will work fine in a plane to the motor.
Most (older) speed controllers are programmed for LiPo and i do not know if any are optimized for LiFe with warning like soft power down or sound warnings when the battery is coming close to empty.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I'm not positive but I believe the 18650's are lipo. At least all the ones I have seen are. I use them in my EDC Flashlight and I used 2 to build a pack for my 9X.

Plus, there is a significant voltage difference between the two. Lipo is 3.7 per cell nominal and LiFe is 3.2 per cell nominal

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
18650's are Lithium Ion NOT LiFe or LiPo (unless something new has been introduced recently) My 18650's are scavenged from old laptop packs and some are 15 years old and still going strong in Flashlight uses. Never thought about using them on my craft till now. Thanks

Thurmond

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
All my searches on 18650's are showing really low discharge rates, 3-4 amps max. Doesn't sound like a very viable choice for powering a motor....

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
18650's are Lithium Ion NOT LiFe or LiPo (unless something new has been introduced recently) My 18650's are scavenged from old laptop packs and some are 15 years old and still going strong in Flashlight uses. Never thought about using them on my craft till now. Thanks

Thurmond
Yeah, I was thinking Li-on and ended up typing li-po...sucks when the brain is off on it own somewhere!
They are the same voltage though...Li-on's and Li-po's. I at least had that part correct...

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
To be confused or not to be confused - that is the question.
Reading about Lithium based technology batteries..
"All" batteries are ion batteries and there is polymere as a base in the batteries.
There are lots of chemical variants giving different voltages. Most common - older "ion" common "Po" and newer "Fe".
http://www.a123systems.com/lifepo4-battery-cell.htm
If the battery is made for high current or long discharge time is more of the collecting aluminium or copper parts leading the electricity from the battery to the user leads.