Lightening the load

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I still have my DTF Otto, built using white Gorilla Glue, hanging on my bedroom wall. It was such a fun biplane to fly. I added ailerons and lowered the dihedral by half if I remember correctly.
My Otto was just the standard 3 channel with miles too much control throw and a radio system that suffered from habitual LOS. It was great to see flying and quite a thrill for me at the time BUT it had vicious "DUTCH ROLL" when a bit too heavy on the rudder and of course the recurrent LOS made for some very exciting and unique landings.

LOS was due to a poor radio selection and the "Dutch Roll" was exacerbated by too much rudder throw.

It was still great fun though and I learned a lot from it!

have fun!

bracesport

Legendary member
This sounds great. I have just made a really thin FB wing and the ailerons especially are very delicate with the paper off one side and sanded to a taper! Next time I will glue some paper to improve the stiffness!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
This sounds great. I have just made a really thin FB wing and the ailerons especially are very delicate with the paper off one side and sanded to a taper! Next time I will glue some paper to improve the stiffness!

Use can use an iron to "melt" the FB to a taper leaving the paper on both sides. It might not be stiff enough for your needs but probably worth an experiment.