Linkage Stopper to Servo Arm installation

Hayduke27

Hi everyone!

I am pretty new to this whole thing, as I just recently discovered all of the options for electric RC planes. I am having a blast, and just ordered my third speed build kit.

My question is this: I am working on a Storch, and I need to install the linkage stoppers in the servo arms. This is my first time doing so, and I have found that the linkage stoppers included in the kit are too big to fit through the holes in the nylon servo arm. Should I go ahead and just try to drill the hole out to make it bigger? Or should I maybe try to use heat? Does anyone have any advice for this step? Thanks!!

Blackbeltrrf

Hi everyone!

I am pretty new to this whole thing, as I just recently discovered all of the options for electric RC planes. I am having a blast, and just ordered my third speed build kit.

My question is this: I am working on a Storch, and I need to install the linkage stoppers in the servo arms. This is my first time doing so, and I have found that the linkage stoppers included in the kit are too big to fit through the holes in the nylon servo arm. Should I go ahead and just try to drill the hole out to make it bigger? Or should I maybe try to use heat? Does anyone have any advice for this step? Thanks!!

I just drill mine out to fit. I am glad you are having fun as that is what is important!

Spitfire222

Not a skater
Just drill the hole out, or ream it with a knife. But keep in mind two things:

1. Try to make the hole a tight, (but not too tight) fit so that there is freedom of movement as the surface deflects, but no slop in the linkage.

2. If the servo arm is pretty thin width-wise, consider drilling out one of the other holes closer towards the center of the servo. You rarely need that max throw potential on the servo side, and this way, you minimize the (already very low) chance of the pushrod linkage breaking through the arm.

Hayduke27

Thanks for the advice, guys! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something I shouldn't! I appreciate the help!

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I think the holes are small to start with so you can use control rods with z-bends. While it is pretty easy to make a hole bigger, it is hard to make it smaller!

I forgot to put loc-tite on the nuts for the stoppers, so I thought, hey, I'll just dip the nut and stopper end in a little puddle. Well, that
sort of worked. The nut stayed on. But, the loc-tite wicked into the stopper and control arm and made it so the linkage stopper no longer rotated in the control arm. This made for very interesting servo behavior. It would move the control surface in steps and make a decent snap noise as it did so. It was pretty hard to get the nut off and get everything cleaned out. So, don't do that!

Mike

I used to use linkage stoppers but now I just make my own Z bends with plyers. You can plug your servos in and turn on the transmitter to centre them up, then make a z bend and adjust it with sub trim if it's out. If you do this though you should make up the push rod with the control horns on then glue the control horns in place as a full assembly.

If you drill them, try to increment the drill sizes to avoid snags. Hold the servos arm with some plyers or something solid. I have also had success melting them wider. Using the push rod and heating it up with a lighter. Be careful thiugh as they conduct the heat to your hand quickly

Gryf

Subtrims work okay with Z-bends unless you're tuning ailerons on a Y-connection (single-channel) and one is misaligned. With elevators and rudder, no problem.

Gryf

Hayduke27

I have a pair of z bend pliers, and I probably would have just gone with those except that I got ahead of myself and already glued the control horns in. I was going along with the build video, and by the time Josh was connecting the push rods, he was using linkage stoppers and I was like "huh?". That was the first I'd heard of them, and I didn't even realize that they were included in the speed build kit until after I started looking around for them. I like the idea of the linkage stoppers so long as I can widen the hole without messing up the arm. I'll go incrementally and take 'er slow.

Hayduke27

Speaking of connecting to servo arms, would you guys recommend a z-bend or linkage stoppers to connect the flaps?