lipo confusion

chuckeroo

love flitetest bought old speedster what are the battery and charger options also what type and size connectors since motor and esc just have tined ends

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
For ESC and motor connections people are using 3.5 mm bullet connectors or solder them directly. Without the connectors there's less risk of something disconnecting because of vibrations or similar. To connect the battery to the ESC a lot of people nowadays use XT60 connectors.

The charger should be one that can do "balanced" charging. This makes sure all cells of your LiPo are at the same voltage level. Otherwise bad things can happen.

The Old Speedster Kit page suggests 1000 - 1300mAh 3S 20C LiPos.

Thank you Balu just ordered 1300mAh 3sp1 20c dont know what the p1 represents but i hope its okay

That will be just fine - the P1 means how many cells in parallel.

for example - say I had one battery that has 3 cells and is 2.2 mAh. that is 3 cells only. Now, say I take two batteries and put them in parallel - I have two batteries, 3 cells each. this makes 4.4 mAh, but a total of 6 actual cells. I'm keeping the voltage the same but increasing the capacity.

if you bought a 3SP2 battery it would mean that they are using smaller cells, but more of them to give you the capacity, kind of like having two batteries of 650mAh in one battery package. Generally this only comes into play when your buying much higher capacity packs.

I hope that makes sense - If it doesn't just know that your battery is just fine and you have no need to worry.