Long length help

shadowjig

So I'm a RC flying noob and I placed orders with Flite Test and HobbyKing to set myself up to build a couple FT planes and a FT Tricopter for Christmas. I chose the NTM 28-26 1200kv motors for both planes and the Tri and ordered the long shaft version at the link below. I also order the NTM accessory pack which includes the bolt on prop adapter.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking...Series_28_26A_1200kv_286w_USA_Warehouse_.html

When I got the motor I realized that the extra part of the shaft is coming out the bottom end of the motor and that it wouldn't be going through the prop adapter.

Did I goof and pick the wrong shaft length? I realize that it should still work fine with the extra shaft hanging out of the bottom. But do I need to be concerned that the shaft may get bent easier in this configuration? I also checked the HK site and it doesn't look like they sell the short shaft as a replacement part for the NTM series.

earthsciteach

If the bolt on adapter attaches to the opposite side of the motor than the shaft sticks out of, no worries. You may have to drill out some foam from the plane to accept the shaft, though. Or, cut the shaft shorter.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Like Teach says, it will work fine. No issues with bending on the backside of the motor unless you are crashing REALLY hard. One thing to watch out for on the planes is that shaft possibly sticking into the power pod. If you have your battery on the inside of the pod, make sure to have something to buffer it from being punctured by the shaft in a crash. Shouldn't be a problem, but something to check for...

shadowjig

The extra portion of the shaft is definitely on the wire side of the motor. Thanks for the extra tips.

What's the point in have the shaft come out the back side? Is it so the motor can be mounted on the back side of the firewall and have only the shaft sticking out the front of the plane with the prop adapter?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yes, it would use a collet adapter that way but if you had a plane that needed the prop close to flush, That's the way to do it.

DDSFlyer

I've always wanted to know this too as I never bought the short shaft version. I haven't had a problem with the long shaft version and their accessory adapter. Although I always thought about trying to mounting it backwards for the pusher mounted wings, just never did

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
DDS,

Took me a while to get my head wrapped around it too, but when you build a multirotor, the short shaft + bolt on adaptor really is the way to go. Your prop is connected -- by bolts -- directly to the bell instead of the shaft. Really rugged setup.

Shadow,

Why are the motor shafts like this? so the motor can be mounted on one side of the firewall and the prop on the other. This can allow for some cleaner builds, and might be down right required for some kits/ARFs. For my experience, however, this style of motor mount is more throuble than it's worth on scrathcbuilds.