Looking for advice.

Kronblom

Hi all,

I was hoping I could get some advice from some experienced people. I've suddenly gotten it into my head that I want a cub. :) If they have or can have bush wheels the better. However I am still learning to fly with ailerons and struggling with nose in flying etc, so I'm trying to stop myself from jumping in and get something I can't handle.

My current RC experience is a few flights with a Bixler and some 250 quad fpv flying for the past year. However with FPV you don't have to think to much of what is right or left, which means that LOS I still struggle with nose in flying.

The obvious choice, I guess, would be the Hobbyzone Sport Cub S. It looks like it flies great but can it handle the wind? I don't have any options to fly indoors and wind at 4-8mph minimum is quiet common.

The devil on my shoulder tells me to get the Parkzone Sports Cub. :) It looks awsome, but I am a bit worried if it should work as a good 2nd type of plane. Not to mention its size. Does it slow down in a nice manner?

What about the UMX Carbon Cub? Is that something to consider? Or is it to old tech in it. :p

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks.

fish

the Hobbyzone Sport Cub S is a Micro plane, weights about 1 ounce. it is a feather, and we all know a feather can get blown in the wind? You can opt for wheels, floats, heavier battery, but all that added weight will, play a toll, somewhere. May snap the wing down the road. Do not get me wrong it is a great small plane to learn on and challenge your skills in wind.

I have a Super cub LP, it is not the same but close to the Sport Cub. and that is a heavier plane night &v day difference. you can add wheels , floats, heavier battery. chose to connect the flaps, you name it. But twice the size twice the Money. twice the challenge? The Carbon Cub SS, is once again a feather weight, only added stuff is the next step up to a battery, lights. just me I can do without that stuff.

I get a Sport cub, if I had the room. I hink that will be the best choice but check out peoples videos and decide if it is really for you.

I enjoy 36 inch wingspan.and that I find best for my flying needs I don't have a giant yard to fly in.

Kronblom

Yes I've thought of the apprentice, but its even bigger and pricier than the sport cub. :) As fish mentioned around 36 inch wingspan is a good size I guess. Considering the areas I have access to close by.

Thinking size and transport. Am i right that the wing of the sport cub isn't ideal for taking on and off for transport?
No rubbet bands there.

fish

Not sure but is not the Sport cub, screwed on? I do fit my super cub LP its48 inch inside a corolla four door easy, I always must watch the tail, for me I always tend to hit it Lol.

Even though my field Me field the field I go to is 1000 ft length and width enough to keep in and go over trees. I do have room.

why For me other key factors work out, storage, transporting etc...

Kronblom

Question is if its "beef" enough to get good feeling for flaps, and ailerons as in a bigger model when there is some wind. :)

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
It's not a Cub but the FT Storch will let you do all that, and it flies great.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
I assume when you say "nose in" you mean orientation when the plane is coming at you and not nose into the ground.
I learned my "nose in" when I started with RC Cars about 30 years ago. You can try a car and when you get confused on right and left you can stop and think about it. Could even use an airplane tx and rx on a car.
You can also try a simulator which you can pause or just make a mistake and hit reset.

Spastickitten

It's not a Cub but the FT Storch will let you do all that, and it flies great.
I agree it might not be a cub but you can destroy a storch without as much repair so go for a cub later once you don't crash as much, you will crash... it is natural for all of us, but once you feel confident go to something from horizon hobby and fly it with all the things you learned from the ol storch and, the storch might end up being cheaper too! Hope it helped ^.^!!!

flyboy10

Although I don't have direct experience with the Storch, I'd be willing to bet a cheeseburger that would be a pretty good way to go. As for the Sport Cub - I do have experience with that plane and I'm a HUGE fan. It may be a little tricky for a beginner plane but I think it you were to take it easy and set up your controller correctly, you'd do fine. You can slow it way down with flaps.

I just got my hands on an ABC(Already Been Crashed) Sport Cub S2. I'm enjoying it very much, and it was a steal of a deal. It has very few bad tendencies, but is still not as forgiving as some FT planes. The Spitfire, a warbird, actually has even better stall characteristics. My brother and father buddy boxed on it as their first four-channel and did great, but they were going into it very confidently after a good amount of flying on their FT Flyers and 3-channel Tiny Trainers.

The fact that you're still working on keeping your orientation(nose-in flying) is worrying, though. The pre-made planes are expensive, and, no matter how easily they fly, if you tell them to fly directly into the ground, they will. I would really suggest some good practice on something cheap or easily repairable before making an investment in a plane you love.

Spastickitten

Or a simulator! picasim is great and if you use a controller with a jr style port smartproproplus is a way to make it work with the controller you might fly with!