Looking for FPV gear advise.

Rokcrln

So I'm looking for advise on an FPV set up for small and mid size planes. I just picked up a Hero 5 session for filming and now I'm looking for the FPV set up to get next. Idealing I would like to end up doing aerial filming of my flights as well as my 9yr old sons flights using ether one of planes or our Chroma for the flight platform. So I'm looking for decent quality, good range 1/2 to 1 mile range I guess and the ability to upgrade to where the camera will follow where you look.

What kind of a set up would you recommend looking into?

Thank you for your time!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Start studying for your HAM licence. 1/2 mile to a mile is a LONG way to FPV and would take well over the 25 mw limit right outta the gate. Technically we are not allowed to fly that far legally any longer as that is well out of the line of sight range.

That kind of range would probably put you into lower frequency gear then 5.8 ghz. It would also mean special antennas that are more directional which will cut down your flyable distance horizontally unless some sort of tracking is used. There are other factors to fly that way safely as well. Are you sure you want to be sending your investments that far away? An FPV system with the capabilities you want will not come cheap.

Rokcrln

Well I guess I'm not good at judging distance that well😂 I wasn't thinking that was all that far, what is the norm for flying?
Thank you

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Kevin,

You're not alone. 1mi away doesn't seem that far, but pull up a Google map of a spot you like to fly in and measure some of the distances. You'll probably find the "walk of shame" distances are in the 100's of feet, not the 1000's. 1mi = 5280', 1/2mi = 2640'. In LoS, the airframes we fly start disappearing at those ranges. Even FPV, that's farther than most pilots will wander.

As for "norm", that depends, but more often than not it's fairly close to LoS ranges -- under 1000'. Sometimes more, more often less. since you're looking more for "chase video", your "bubble" is defined by the LoS plane's airspace. Take a look at maps of your flying spots and your measurements should give you a feel for how much range you need.

For something simple (and easy to mount next to your Gopro) you might want to look into the Eachine TX-03. I recommend this one specifically because you can get started on it's low-power setting now, then when you pick up the license you can start using the higher power settings. All-in-one setup, so providing it power is the only thing you have to sort out, and if you've got a few 1S battery packs around, it's not hard to add it to the payload.

As for your ground station . . . goggles, screen, or beer-cooler-helmet are the popular three options, and which you prefer will depend on your taste. Goggles tend to be higher in price, tend to have smaller on Field of View (FoV), but for the drawbacks (many of which can be reduced for a cost), they're far more convenient and fairly immersive. Screens tend to be cheaper, and more flexible in features, but far less immersive. The Beer-cooler-helmets are a hybrid of the two . . . in some ways capturing the worst, and some ways the best -- they're somewhere in-between in flexibility, far more ungainly than either, but if you can look past the awkwardness, they're the most immersive of the three. Which you choose will depend on your taste . . . so it's hard to steer you to good options without a "test drive".

Rokcrln

Thanks Dan, this gets me in a direction to start looking. Yea as for distance I'm sure you are correct that 1000' is much further than I'd expect. I put the 1/2 to 1 mile up for a starting point because I hate posts of " what's best for me" with out more info. But then I guess " just guessing" is almost as bad ��

Rokcrln

Dan,
Any experience with eachine VR D2 5" goggles? They are on sale for $79 from Bangood and the TX-3 is a good price as well. With this set up I would just need a new 1s lipo for the TX-3 and nothing else for starters or am I missing something?

Thank you

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Never used those goggles before, so no experience one way or the other.

For the TX-03 you can run it off a 1S lipo and that simplifies the setup for very little extra weight. Keep in mind it can draw up to 750mA on high power, so if the 1S lipo is too small, it can suck it dry pretty fast. I'd recommend shooting for something in the 500-800mAh range (gives you 30-45min on high power without over-drawing the pack) but I would recommend against anything less than 200mAh.