Loooong range FPV for farm work

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hrmm I am surprised they don't give any warning about something that powerful and requiring a HAM licence for that.

Depends on what craft you use and how much battery it can carry as that I would think could suck down some mah fast. I also ask you to define "Work" and how you intend to use it as that implies part 107 territory which is a whole other animal then just plain old I'm havin fun FPV.

All that said 32km range according to the specs should easily cover farm areas as I don't think you would be flying the entire property every flight just sections at a time.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks Psyborg, I looked up if it was legal and it seems 2000mW is the max in Australia.

5.8GHz AV Transmitters
The same basically applies here as it does to 2.4GHz transmitters - Only the power differs. The regulations have a similar entry for Telemetry or Telecommand of Analogue Modulation can operate with a power rating up to 2W.

Okay, we have a 6000 acre farm in south australia, and Dad wants me to take video/photos of some crop trials he is doing. (High def firefly Q6), and I had a cheap set up that could do 1.3kms but that just did not cut it.

I know that 32kms is over kill, and I would not go further than 8kms in any case. I have talked to my neighbours, and they don't have a problem with me flying over their farms anyway. half of our farm is bordered by a 10000+ km national park filled with..... trees!

The model, I want to build a twin 1.4m plane with a 3000mah flight battery and a 1000mah for the FPV.

And, is it true that better range is in the Tx not the Rx? (FPV)

Thanks, Abe

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Abe,

You have a bit more flexibility in adjusting range with output power on a VTX (airframe), but a poorly setup VRX (ground station) will throw most of that power advantage away. Loose connections, mismatched or poorly tuned antennas and insensitive/noisy VRX's will hurt your range just as fast as too low power on a VRX. Choosing directional antennas (particularly higher-gain-narrower-beam antennas) or switching to lower frequency bands (1.3GHz, 900MHz . . . ) when you move out in range will dramatically improve how far your ground station can hear.

BTW, about the video . . . FPV video stinks. It always has. It's serviceable to fly from, and when you're in the air, you'll ignore the lower quality, but it's rarely pretty. If you're going out with the purpose of taking photos/video of production acreage, have a second camera onboard for that capture. The FPV gear will help you get the airframe in the right spot and frame up to "get the shot", and give you a little instant feedback, and when you land you'll have higher-quality images to evaluate the crop trials with form the nicer camera.

One other thing to keep in mind . . . your ground station doesn't have to be back at the house. So long as you have a suitable launch/landing site, you can drive right next to the field and launch from there, and save yourself the headache of commuting via FPV. That gives you less delay between launch and work, more loiter time over the target, shorter ranges and less airspace to loose your airframe over when something goes wrong. You already have vehicles that can carry gear to the field, make them do the tedious commute for your airframes ;)

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
https://youtu.be/9e4g_nRoutw

Here is a test run I did last year on a 100 acre field. I was testing a bix 3 setup to see it it was feasible for a HD mobius camera to capture the image I needed. The video was Boscam 5.8 600mah tx and a camera like this: http://www.banggood.com/DC12V-13-Sony-960H-CCD-700TVL-2_8mm-Lens-Camera-for-FPV-QAV250-p-974381.html The spektrum as3x reciever drove me nuts and would not dial in. I later switched to a dragon link v3 radio and a pixhawk for better control.

Using a 1.3 IB crazy pepperbox RX and a cloverleaf on a 600mah tx does not compensate for the curvature of the earth. I can get almost a mile at 2 meter cruise altitude, until 3/4 mile. If I put the pepperbox on an antenna tower and set it at a higher altitude, that would probably fix my issue. My family farm is 3000 acres and it's roughly the shape of a rectangle with 4:1 proportions.

If it's livestock you can cruise at 15 meters and your video link will work much better.

If it's row crops you will need a RX tower with a rotater in the center of you area of operation (AO) that will allow you to track the transmitter at elevation as the craft skims the deck.

Best of luck!

Justin

Last edited:

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
"And, is it true that better range is in the Tx not the Rx? (FPV)"
For FPV spend money on your video receiver antenna. Also keep in mind that a great TX antenna with a modest transmitter is better than a rubber duck antenna with a powerful transmitter.

https://youtu.be/fd3K5cB19P4

Justin

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Thank you all for your replies.

I plan to use these antennas, https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aomway-5-8ghz-4-leaf-clover-antenna-set-for-tx-rx-sma-rhcp.html

And I think I will get a 600mW VTX now at I want it to be light enough to use on my mini tundra scratch build. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/00mw-40ch-raceband-vtx-side-le-toggle-rf-power-version-horizontal-1.html

This camera looks okay. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/diatone-600tvl-120-xminiature-camera-black.html

Do you think the Cyclops goggles receiver is good enough?

So the trials I am videoing are strips across flats and ridges that I have ripped with the deep ripper and dad wants to see the vegetation difference from the air.
I have tried with a ipod mounted on the bottom of my Trojan, with the FPV cam on a tilt system just in front of it and that worked but the video was not great and the plane was not ideal. (this type of flying needs to be really high)

For the most part, I fly from our house in the middle of the farm just for fun, but if I need to go further than 1km I jump in the Suzuki and find a hill closer to the re con site.

What do you think of my stuff for longer range flying?

I have looked at 1.2 and 900ghz stuff and its not as available of cheap as 5.8ghz. I know its better, but I can't see it working for my situation.

Abe

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber