Low cost EDF's, are they any good?

DWM

Here's one of the F22's that I found converted to EDF. So its not an original idea. I really want the EDF'S hidden inside the fuselage. Thats the limiting factor for fan size. Im trying to limit how much I change the original FT design so I dont destroy its flight characteristics. I can increaese the channel height a bit to use the EDF'S internally without major changes. The biggest plus of this design is, is that it keeps the same CG. With all the major weights in the same locations.

I like this design but I'd narrow the fuse in front of the EDF to improve aitflow. That plus at least a rudimentary exhaust tube back to the control surfaces seems to be more efficient. Plus it would act a bit like thust vectoring over each control surface. I also wonder if closing the prop channel in increases efficiency?

Last edited:

Abdul Bari

1) what are these smaller diameter units used for? From my understanding even the larger 64 and 70mm EDF's are relatively underpowered.
the smaller edfs are used for small planes, like UMX planes. They are also some times used in vtol planes if needed. Like I said before, not all 64 and 70mm edfs are under powered.

2) is this an EDF thats even worth the time to mess with? Am I better off just buying a more refined unit at a higher cost?
it depends on what you want to build. It probably works fine, but you have to look at the specs. 566g of thrust for a 3s 70mm edf isn't great. I think you are better off getting a 6s 70mm edf that might get 1500g of thrust. It would be more expensive, but way better preformance.
And ofc it makes u buy a 6s which is not cheap as well as a higher amp esc

quorneng

Master member
A bit of an old thread but you certainly can use AEO EDFs.
They are not as powerful as many but they are quite efficient at converting the power they do use into thrust so this means you have to build light, very light, to achieve good results. With the smaller units you have to take light to the extreme but if you do the results can be impressive.
A 40 mm AEO in a 32" (800 mm) span DH Venom.
13Aug17.JPG

All made of 2mm Depron (when if was available!) so even with a 1400 mAh 2s on board it weighs just 202g.
It doesn't fly particularly fast so an easy hand launch. Fully aerobatic It also flies nicely at part throttle, taking about 7 amps, so a 12 minute duration is possible. Not many EDFs can match that.
In the same vein two 40mm AEOs in a Depron DH Sea Vixen of the same span.
More power a bit heavier so a bit faster but still hand launched.
06Nov20.JPG

You don't have to go for maximum power with an EDF just minimum weight and those AEO units are particularly light.;)