mac user with newb questions about flight simulators

Douglas

1. I have a Macbook Pro laptop computer. I can find no RC simulators for the Mac, so I guess I have to set up a virtual machine so that I can run windows on my mac. Since RealFlight seems to be the one to get, any advice on setting up a virtual PC would be appreciated (beyond the Mac instructions that is).

2. Is RealFlight 9 the latest version? Is that what I should get?

3. I have a Spektrum DX8. Can I use that transmitter with RealFlight 9?

4. At HorizonHobby they sell RF9 with a big stack of DVDs. My MacBook Pro doesn't have a DVD drive. Don't they have RF9 available for download? (If not I have to a. set up a virtual machine; b. buy RF9; c. buy some USB drive apparently, and then an adapter to use it with my mac which doesn't have a USB drive; d. buy a DVD drive...and this is just to do the install!)

5. Can you really develop your skills using RF9? It's a big expense, the idea being it will prevent even bigger expenses in terms of crashes. But if these simulators aren't a home run, then the expense and hassle of setup wouldn't be worth it.

BTW, I've been trying to get a hobby shop on the phone that can answer these questions, but no luck. And I've been on hold wiht Horizon Hobby for an hour, and I'm about 90% certain that the person that eventually answers the phone will know nothing about it.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
1. I have a Macbook Pro laptop computer. I can find no RC simulators for the Mac, so I guess I have to set up a virtual machine so that I can run windows on my mac. Since RealFlight seems to be the one to get, any advice on setting up a virtual PC would be appreciated (beyond the Mac instructions that is).
I am sorry for your OS choice, a VM might not work as well as you would hope unless it does good GPU pass through to the VM.

2. Is RealFlight 9 the latest version? Is that what I should get?
it does appear to be the current version with a release date of Sep 3, 2019 on steam
there is a REalFlight Trainer Edition about to release on steam, but I don't know how that compares to version 9

3. I have a Spektrum DX8. Can I use that transmitter with RealFlight 9?
with a relevent dongle it should work (at least on PC)

4. At HorizonHobby they sell RF9 with a big stack of DVDs. My MacBook Pro doesn't have a DVD drive. Don't they have RF9 available for download? (If not I have to a. set up a virtual machine; b. buy RF9; c. buy some USB drive apparently, and then an adapter to use it with my mac which doesn't have a USB drive; d. buy a DVD drive...and this is just to do the install!)
Software Only Digital Download is an option on the realfight website

5. Can you really develop your skills using RF9? It's a big expense, the idea being it will prevent even bigger expenses in terms of crashes. But if these simulators aren't a home run, then the expense and hassle of setup wouldn't be worth it.
yes, it won't be a perfect 1:1, but it should be good enough to help with the basics/etc. You should be able to build the relevant muscle memory with it.

BTW, I've been trying to get a hobby shop on the phone that can answer these questions, but no luck. And I've been on hold wiht Horizon Hobby for an hour, and I'm about 90% certain that the person that eventually answers the phone will know nothing about it.
can't help you with this one.