Meet my Simple Scout!

Syro

While not technically my first FT bird, she definitely feels like it. I have built a couple arrows, but the first lasted (literally) 2 seconds, and the second only 2 flights. After giving up for a year or two, I dove back in. I gained a a lot of inspiration at Flite Test in July.

Flew two flights with this plane, and it was so much easier to fly than any other plane I have tried. I wish I had started here.

Still coming up with names. As a lover of Mythbusters, Buster seems natural but also lazy...lol.

Attachments

• 20190914_142738.jpg
    20190914_142738.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0

alan0043

While not technically my first FT bird, she definitely feels like it. I have built a couple arrows, but the first lasted (literally) 2 seconds, and the second only 2 flights. After giving up for a year or two, I dove back in. I gained a a lot of inspiration at Flite Test in July.

Flew two flights with this plane, and it was so much easier to fly than any other plane I have tried. I wish I had started here.

Still coming up with names. As a lover of Mythbusters, Buster seems natural but also lazy...lol.

Hi Syro,

Great looking plane ! I have a question or two for you. Is the plane scratch build or a speed build ? What foam board did you use ? What motor are you using ? I have been working on a scout myself. I am scratch building. I have just finished the patterns up on posted board. I need to start cutting out the foam.

Please keep us updated on your maiden flite. That's a cool :cool: looking plane. I should have read your post closer. I see you have two flites on it.
Al

Syro

Hi Syro,

Great looking plane ! I have a question or two for you. Is the plane scratch build or a speed build ? What foam board did you use ? What motor are you using ? I have been working on a scout myself. I am scratch building. I have just finished the patterns up on posted board. I need to start cutting out the foam.

Please keep us updated on your maiden flite. That's a cool :cool: looking plane. I should have read your post closer. I see you have two flites on it.
Al
Quick answer: I used a speed build kit and power pack b.

I had so much frustration trying to be frugal by using motors/escs/props I had from fpv drones. I decided to go 100% "stock" this time.

I have scratch built 2 gliders (sparrow and pun jet) for my kids in the last couple days. I used Elmer's Foam Board from Wal-Mart, and my only complaint is that the paper does not peel off easily when doing curved parts of the nose. Also, my cuts were soooo ragged compared to the laser cut pieces. ;)

If it weren't for the shipping, speed build kits are 100% worth it. May just have to buy several kits one day to get over the free shipping threshold...lol.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Elmer's foam can be a bit heavy if you don't remove the paper from one side. It's about twice as heavy because of the thicker paper. It usually looks good though since it doesn't wrinkle or warp easily like DTFB. I usually look for Ross brand at Walmart. 0.88$ for one sheet.

Nice looking plane @Syro I have a scout as well and it is definitely a good 1st plane.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

That's a sweet lookin Scout, the paint job looks great. Easy to see in the sky. I wish the Scout or the Explorer was my first plane, I went through so many different designs just because they looked cool before I flew either of these two with detrimental crashes on all of them.

Keep up the good work on the SBK's, the scratch building is a lot of fun as well. Let's you play around with designs to make modifications.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

"Buster" isn't lazy. It's brilliant! That's the perfect name for that beautiful bird! The Simple Scout is possibly the smoothest flying plane that I have yet flown. I agree with the other posters. It will quickly become a favorite! Congratulations on a beautiful build and I'm really looking forward to flight video! (y)(y)