Mighty Mini Speedster Speed Build Kit - Remote Control

RJHarvey

Hi all,

I am completely new here so I know no technical terms whatsoever. I've only just got into watching Flite Test's videos and they have inspired me into the hobby. They recently released the Mighty Mini Speedster kit and I'm thinking of buying it for my dad for Christmas so we can work on it together however I realized after looking at all the parts that I will have nothing to control it with. So that being said, what is the best remote control (is a remote control an RC radio? I really am new to all of this) to fly the Mighty Mini?

I'm not looking to use the controller for anything else other than flying that plane so it doesn't need to be anything fancy, however I have no idea if there are other things I also need to get with it. Hell, I don't even know what to google to find the right controller so that's saying something.

All responses are greatly appreciated and if you guys/gals have any tips or advice on what things I should also be buying in order to make it fly I am thirsty for knowledge. So throw it all at me.

Please note that I have very little understanding of the technical language of different parts and things so I'm trying to learn as much as I can. If you think you're said something that a newbie can't understand then could you please explain the terminology.

Thanks a bunch (in advance). Having read a few of the forum posts already it seems like you're a very welcoming community and I hope I have posted this in the right place in the correct way.

eagle4

Hey mate, welcome to the forums and the hobby.

a remote control can go by numerous names, a Radio, a Transmitter, a tx.

for these minis any 4 channel radio will do. a channel refers to how many control inputs you can have, for example, Throttle, Ailerons, Elevator and Rudder

there are a nice list of radios here
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__82__190__Radios_Receivers-Complete_systems.html
if you get something like the Orange T6 its a computer radio at a good price, being a computer radio means you can save your models, and do things like rates and expos.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...10_Model_Memory_and_3_Pos_Switch_Mode_2_.html

Flitetest did some videos called the beginners series. I strongly recommend you check those out. they will answer a bunch of questions that you have. Here is the youtube play list
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6IuSFWz4ktvupu_gxw1vn-sjBGOkJFHV

welcome to the forums again :)

talsteen

I am also new and in the same boat as the OP. I'm interested in the mini speedster but have no clue on what to get. Way too many options for a newby to try to decide. If someone has a mini speedster, could you post and let us know what specific items you used to make it fly.

Thanks,

talsteen

eagle4

talsteen, in the article for the builds all the components for the plane are listed.

on top of that you'll need a radio, it'll come with a receiver. you'll also need a battery charger. there are many available. have a look on hobbyking. they have quite a range. I don't know if you already have a workshop, but tools like knives, pliers, screw drivers etc will be needed.

Try writing down a list of things you think you need and post it here, we'll try help you out if we think you're on the wrong track or if you've got it nailed :)

Bolvon72

Mentor
For the minis and the other slow movers, any radio will do. If you don't want to invest a lot just starting out, this is as simple to use as it comes and will fly your plane. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._4Ghz_4Ch_Tx_Rx_V2_Mode_2_USA_Warehouse_.html At less than $30, you can have your fun while learning about the hobby, then hand it off to someone else starting when you decide to get a full featured Tx. There is a lot to learn about the many functions radios have, and those functions are very necessary for more advanced planes, but not for these three channel fun flyers, you don't really even need dual rates. By the time you can fly without crashing, you'll know what kind of radio you really want.