Mini Skywalker 840mm Build

Vampircorn

I am hoping to get started in this hobby with building my own plane. I have been watching Flite Test for a few months, and was going to build a quad rotor, but dropped the idea because of a lack of money and time. I watched another Flite Test video yesterday out of the blue and decided that I would really make an attempt this time with a lower cost build as my entry into the hobby. If I could just get a few opinions on my build list, and suggestions on what to leave out and what to add, including important tools and accessories. I really want to build on the Mini Skywalker chassis because I want a small, easy to store plane, and will upgrade to FPV later. Thanks in advance!

List:

skywalker mini.PNG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It looks like a pretty good list to me, but I don't have a heck of a lot of experience with this yet either. :)

Good luck!

ExperimentalRC

I've never flown a skywalker, but I think something like a bixler would much better suited for someone who has never flown before. The bixler 2 RTF is around $110, which includes everything on your list, so the price is about the same. Or you can get a simulator which takes the risk of crashing out of question. all you need is something to get the hang of it so an expensive simulator is not need. The hobbyking 6ch simulator should work fine. ($16)

Vampircorn

Ah, already ordered. I was looking into a Bixler, but a huge part of all of my hobbies from PC gaming to airsoft is the technical aspect of building my own stuff and understanding how it all works. I have flown plenty of RC planes including warbirds, I just haven't actually owned my own nice one before. I do play MSFX and the occasional RC Sim like RealFlight. I'm hoping that the Skywalker will be a good platform for my first plane, but may end up picking a Bixler or even a Champ just to toy around with more.

Spastickitten

The nest ft plane is a bixler trainer style plane, so if you have issues, wait until that comes out! Hope to see you on the forums! ^w^

HawkMan

Ah, already ordered. I was looking into a Bixler, but a huge part of all of my hobbies from PC gaming to airsoft is the technical aspect of building my own stuff and understanding how it all works. I have flown plenty of RC planes including warbirds, I just haven't actually owned my own nice one before. I do play MSFX and the occasional RC Sim like RealFlight. I'm hoping that the Skywalker will be a good platform for my first plane, but may end up picking a Bixler or even a Champ just to toy around with more.

Well the plane you ordered is more or less a smaller bixler. the smaller size and stuff will give some different characteristics but...

I think the other poster's comments is because skywalker is the name of a very different famous RC plane design and he thought you got that one, which is definitely not a beginner plane, maybe a beginner sport/acro plane.

Your skyalker has the disadvantage of no dihedral or winglets like the Bixler and similar though, so you might suffer from tip stalls more easy. just somethign to be aware of at low speed and landing. Keep speed up when turning and don't roll to much on landings or you might land wrong way up :p

T-Richard

While your p-lane has no dihedral, it's small and light and that helps. Just maiden in as little wind as possible