Miniac RC Mighty Mini P 47 Thunderbolt Scratch Build

Marty72

Elite member
I found the images on the internet, used 3d paint to scale down to the proper size, then print the image on HP photo paper, cut out, spray Scotch 77 adhesive to the back and apply. That's it

Tom Englert

I found the images on the internet, used 3d paint to scale down to the proper size, then print the image on HP photo paper, cut out, spray Scotch 77 adhesive to the back and apply. That's it
Nice! I have some self adhesive decal material for my printer I can do that with.

Marty72

Elite member
I've used vinyl sticker material before, but I found the ink runs when it gets wet and fades more than the photo paper. I've done both approaches, but over time, the photo paper holds up better.

Yankee2003

I've seen so little talk about this plane, so I thought I'd start a thread. When finished, it's a nice looking build, without as much effort as a Master Series plane. I'm hoping the MiniacRC designer sees this and chimes in. This is a really neat design and he desires a lot of credit for it.

Battleaxe, post up yours here too!

So after conversing with Battleaxe, I decided to build a 125% Mini P 47. I've built several FT planes, the Master Series Spitfire and now this. I'd say this is an easier build, and in some ways a better design, then the MS Spitfire. I found the shaping of the foam to be easier with this build, as well as, gluing the sections together. I'd say the most difficult part was the wing attachment (probably a scratch building error on my part). My wings didn't fit right, so I spent a fair amount of time sanding to fit. It wasn't hard, just takes some patience. I also found this build to be far less frustrating than the Master Series Spitfire (for me).

The 125% build requires a little preplanning and probably more hand fitting than the std size. The 125% version has a wing span just over 30 inches.

I finished it up today, hopefully I can maiden it Thursday morning. After painting, I was pretty happy with the way it came out.

Here are the build specs: Wt: 384 g AUW (everything but a battery)
Power: 2830 1300 kv motor, 8x6 prop, 30 amp esc, 1300 mah 3s bat.
CG location: I am starting with 1.5 inches.
View attachment 176871
Check back Thursday night, I should have a maiden and will share my initial thoughts on the plane.

Do you have a go to method to prep your airplane for paint?
I am specifically interested in the phase between the initial assembly to first coat of paint. Do you blend foam seams and use filler? Any hints on how to get the poster board Seams to lay flat?
I am having trouble getting a finished look to my aircraft. Seem like the plane looks even more “choppy” for lack of a better term, once I get paint on it.
Maybe it is in the preassemble process. Any advice or tips will be appreciated.

Marty72

Elite member
Do you have a go to method to prep your airplane for paint?
I am specifically interested in the phase between the initial assembly to first coat of paint. Do you blend foam seams and use filler? Any hints on how to get the poster board Seams to lay flat?
I am having trouble getting a finished look to my aircraft. Seem like the plane looks even more “choppy” for lack of a better term, once I get paint on it.
Maybe it is in the preassemble process. Any advice or tips will be appreciated.

Yes, I use minwax to prep before painting. Here's a Youtube video Battleaxe made: Waterproofing DT Foamboard - YouTube

Next, I paint with Rustoleum 2x, very lightly on the first coat (not enough to cover), let it dry well, then add another coat, and another. Usually it is 3 or 4 coats to get complete coverage (using as little paint as possible). The trick is patience. Too much paint causes the paper to get wet, the chemicals react with the glue and foam, and wrinkles will follow. There is no way to remove these types of wrinkles once they have occurred.

You can use light spackle to fill in wrinkles or gaps and then very lightly sand with 300-500 grit. It's tough to do well, so I would avoid bothering with the small blemishes. If you want to put the time in, it can be done. I would add a light touch of minwax over the repair (otherwise the paint Sheen will be different).

Here's my suggestion (for future projects). Use some old scrap foam board and practice these techniques. Work all these things out on scrap before trying them on the plane you've spent hours building. Try everything out on scrap first. That's how I did it.