Mixing Building Methods

Bensley7

I am gearing up to build a FT Spitfire. the kit uses a piece of paper for the turtle deck, and the front of the fuselage.
I was wondering - Has anyone had tried any of the Master Series techniques to bend a piece of thin foam board to make these two pieces, and give these areas some higher structural integrity?

shadeyB

Legendary member
The build method and structure of the original ft spitfire doesn’t require any additional support 😊

leaded50

Legendary member
not any trouble, as long have built once by curbed "master style" skins, the techniques is exactly alike.

I am gearing up to build a FT Spitfire. the kit uses a piece of paper for the turtle deck, and the front of the fuselage.
I was wondering - Has anyone had tried any of the Master Series techniques to bend a piece of thin foam board to make these two pieces, and give these areas some higher structural integrity?
My current build is something like a WW2 fighter, and I built the entire top of the fuselage with cardstock. For more structural integrity for these areas I used stringers of foamboard without the paper, built up between the formers. I find using cardstock is easier (until I learn more about making foamboard do stuff it doesn't want to do!) but like you I wanted it more solid & durable too.

I went a little overboard, but you get the idea.

IMG_0835.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
I did a hybrid build of my spitfire - tail section is formed foam board - sides and wing are as per the kit - front end is 3D printed - all worked out OK! :)