Problem with FT Master Corsair kit

Motorcycle Jack

I'm building the Master Corsair kit that came with all pieces precut via a laser cutter. What the laser does is melt the foam back under the paper about 2 mm on each side of the cut. When your'e working with tabs that are only 6 or 7mm wide there is no foam left. I have many problems with this kit. First is in the construction of the wing spars using the sandwiching of the foam piece to the wood spar piece. In the middle of the front foam piece are cutouts where one is to glue the strengthening spar between the front and rear spars. What I have is two pieces of foam joined by a piece of paper top and bottom of the foam piece - there is no foam in this section because of the laser under melt. What makes it worse is the actual strengthening piece has no foam in the tab that is supposed to be glued to this, it too has been under melted. So consequently when I glue them together the strengthening spar will be glued to the hole in the wing where the tab should have glued - no real connection and no strength to the wing. And the wing done this way has the cord changed by about 1/4" .

My question - Has anyone else noticed this problem with the laser cut parts? How do you overcome this design fault?
mid-spar.jpg
end-spar.jpg

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I'm building the Master Corsair kit that came with all pieces precut via a laser cutter. What the laser does is melt the foam back under the paper about 2 mm on each side of the cut. When your'e working with tabs that are only 6 or 7mm wide there is no foam left. I have many problems with this kit. First is in the construction of the wing spars using the sandwiching of the foam piece to the wood spar piece. In the middle of the front foam piece are cutouts where one is to glue the strengthening spar between the front and rear spars. What I have is two pieces of foam joined by a piece of paper top and bottom of the foam piece - there is no foam in this section because of the laser under melt. What makes it worse is the actual strengthening piece has no foam in the tab that is supposed to be glued to this, it too has been under melted. So consequently when I glue them together the strengthening spar will be glued to the hole in the wing where the tab should have glued - no real connection and no strength to the wing. And the wing done this way has the cord changed by about 1/4" .

My question - Has anyone else noticed this problem with the laser cut parts? How do you overcome this design fault?
View attachment 241912 View attachment 241913
Some melting the foam is normal, but not to the degree you seem to be experiencing. You could add filler foam or glue to help remedy the issue, BUT I would contact FT Support, or whoever you purchased from, and let them know what issues you're having.
FT has great support staff.
FT Store Support

Motorcycle Jack

I contacted support and Eddie took my issue to Josh. Their response - "
I showed this to Josh to confirm and they cuts are correct. You need to push them together when gluing them.

The under cut are normal with laser cut kits and the main strength comes when the air foil is completed with the upper and lower skins
for assembly push the pieces together on the outer skins and fuse."

They also told me no return as I had already started construction. So with all the dimensional changes between the plans and what is reality with the kit, I'll continue and see what comes of it.

Attachments

• main-spar.jpg
    main-spar.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0

Motorcycle Jack

So this is what I did for the spar ends to replace the missing foam. I cut a piece of 1/16" balsa wood to look like the missing ends, see picture. You'll also notice I cut 1/8" balsa blocks to replace the missing tabs on top of the spar that glue into the top of the wing. These are in the background.
So from this: end-spar.jpg To this : end.jpg

Attachments

• end.jpg
    end.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 0