MM jacCub

BabyBrit

Fly jacRC
Well guys its been a minute since my last post. Mainly because Ive been out flying which is taking alot of time away from the forum and from designs. However, now I'm lucky enough to be able to fly my designs! Which brings me to my next design; I noticed after the MM designs from FT were released one of the most requested planes for design was a high wing 3 channel, and with that many requests for the Piper Cub.

So here is the pictures of the design and the plans, I plan on having the foam cut and a text version flown by the beginning of next week.

Design

View attachment 34681 View attachment 34682 View attachment 34683 View attachment 34684

Specs:
Length:
17"
Wingspan:
26"
AUW:
aprox 75g
Channels:
Anticipated Learning Level:
Beginner
Build Level:
Easy
Equipment:
1 x Sheet DTFB
3 x BBQ skewers
2 x 5g 500 hxt Servos
1 x .065mm 30" Music Wire

Build:

Here are the pictures of the build log:

View attachment 35036 View attachment 35037 View attachment 35038 View attachment 35039 View attachment 35040 View attachment 35041 View attachment 35042 View attachment 35043 View attachment 35044 View attachment 35045 View attachment 35046

The build went together really easily and the pieces fit together like a glove as designed. There were some things that needed a touch more planning, like being aware of the size of the control horns, allowing enough space for them. As you can see by the notes on the plane, there are a lot of things that need design adjustment. It also seemed to be super nose heavy, and kept wanting to pitch down and required an awful lot of up trim just to stay up. The weather today was not even close to being good for flying... thanks for the mood swings Florida. Tomorrow before I head to work I do plan to burn at least 2 batteries to see if its the design that needs tweaking and what part needs the most work.

My current electronics setup is this:

Motor: Emax 250
ESC: 10 Amp Plush from Lazertoys
Rec: Tactic 624 6Ch rec
servos: 2 x 500 Hextronics
Prop: 60x40

if anyone has any recommendations for how to fix a pitchy nose let me know!

Safe Flying and Blue Skies! Hope everyone in the north stays warm!

Last edited:

BabyBrit

Fly jacRC
I'm following this one. Any new developments with your Mooney after the V2.1? I'd like to try that one also.

Thank you so much JR, I appreciate it alot! I should have the electronics by Friday, finishing the build and test flying. Ill do by best to post a video, but may be a challenge.

The mooney on the other hand is proving to be more of a challenge as the standard FT Powerpod, so I need to make some modifications to the airframe to accept the pod properly. Ill be able to update the plans once thats completed. Plus Im also just getting back behind the sticks an am not quite ready to make the move to 4 channel yet.

Ill keep you up to date.

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
if anyone has any recommendations for how to fix a pitchy nose let me know![/FONT]

I think I see your problem. You have a very small horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Just increase the size by about two inches on the horizontal and one inch for the vertical and it should fly MUCH better.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
They looked a tad bit small to me too. If you look at a three view drawing the horizontal stab is actually quite large.

BabyBrit

Fly jacRC
Thank you guys for the advice, do you all think that if i increase the size that It would need permanent designed into the elevator or not?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I would increase the size regardless. The more stabilizer you have on a plane like this the better it will fly. The way it is right now actually looks under scale to me.

BabyBrit

Fly jacRC
awesome tips, Im going to look into making the changes during Thanks Giving break and try the design again on Monday, Ill attempt to get some video while I'm out there too. Thanks for the input and I hope everyone has a happy and safe thanksgiving feast :)