2023-Spring Sprint A 64 mm EDF on a flying wing build

L Edge

Master member
Having designed a flying wing that uses a prop, want to see if it works with a 64 mm 5 bladed EDF.

Lacking a blue foam supply, I took my UFO (ugly flying object)apart, and design a flying wing pattern which was cut out and just sitting around.
As you can see, I was lucky it was just a flat layer of foam re-enforced by glued on balsa and re-enforced tape that flew by a FC.. It worked and was put in the boneyard.
Talk about luck, the pattern just fit.

So I cut it out. Dimensions are 32" x 12"

I like to build real light and used one carbon rod and grooved it and hot glued it to the foam. Holding off back one until I am sure where it goes.

Next, I took the pattern and laid out the ailerons (9 x 2") and cut them out, did a 45 degree angle and joined my elevons by tape. I use Scotch shipping tape top and bottom which has more glue and has never failed me.

That's it for today.

L Edge

Master member
Still trying to build light and yet strong, running into problem of location of second carbon rod which you should keep close to aileron/elevator to prevent bending . So forced to move forward due to keep CG in its range.

So, on front side, jazzed it up with colored tape, located velcro for battery and rx, marked in the CG.
Next put the electronics ,rx, and built the EDF retaining unit.

Since the EDF is protected, I use very little of material as possible to save weight. So all I did is use 2 chunks of foam to make my sideboards and covered it with tape. Then I glued it to the shell of the 64mm EDF and now have a mount to glue to the wing.
Only thing left is to figure out what I want to do for position.

L Edge

Master member
Finished up installing "stabilizer", added the two servos, found the CG and put on the EDF. Going to use a 1500 mah 3s battery to see if we can get it to fly and how so?

Weight is a wopping 363 grams lite??????

The same model with a prop and 1300mm is 331.2 grams.

So building lite, the accessory of a EDF fan in only 31.8 grams heavier.

I am going to "temp mount the apparatus" a three different ways to try to make it fly. These will be chuck it's and will see what happens One of three, nose down, nose up, or on to going to the field to launch.

My other prop flying wing was named Triumph, this one if it goes, is named "Elation".

L Edge

Master member
"Elation" has just earned its name. Out at a town soccer field I flew Triangle, Double Trouble and worker's were there, so I had to cut it short and just let go of Elation and it was flight worthy.

I just released it and the EDF flying wing took off "slicker than ----" across the field in a 10mph wind. Had to sharply turn and made 2 go arounds and the town workers wanted to do there work. So had to land it.
No video, but to verify I will not mess with it and head to the field tomorrow to get film.
I had a video of Triangle on what did you fly today.

The Fopster

Master member
"Elation" has just earned its name. Out at a town soccer field I flew Triangle, Double Trouble and worker's were there, so I had to cut it short and just let go of Elation and it was flight worthy.

I just released it and the EDF flying wing took off "slicker than ----" across the field in a 10mph wind. Had to sharply turn and made 2 go arounds and the town workers wanted to do there work. So had to land it.
No video, but to verify I will not mess with it and head to the field tomorrow to get film.
I had a video of Triangle on what did you fly today.
If you add a thrust tube you may find it gets even better! Google to get formula for the right size - I’m building something with a 64mm fan and from memory I think the tube reduces to about 54mm diameter but you can look it up. Hope tomorrow’s flight goes well!

L Edge

Master member
If you add a thrust tube you may find it gets even better! Google to get formula for the right size - I’m building something with a 64mm fan and from memory I think the tube reduces to about 54mm diameter but you can look it up. Hope tomorrow’s flight goes well!

Thanks. Need to do more testing with it as is for now. I am working on getting a F-117 where I will use a contoured exhaust tube. My 64 will need to be reduced.

L Edge

Master member
Thingiverse has some edf mounts that might help your project. You sure make a piece of foam look great.

Can design and build, but my talents for painting suck, even tried using an airbrush system. Best I found is using colored tape.