Most model aircraft flown simultaneously was in 2008?

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
So I was watching some of the lowest view count YouTube videos of Flight Test. [Curious and time to look]
It was the Los Angeles Adventure _UPDATE with 6264 views, if you are curious.

But I saw this video near the bottom of the list and they mentioned the world record of most aircraft flown at one time at SEFF in 2008 was 99.

A quick Google search yielded an old outdated webpage from World Record Academy that has some nonworking links, and mentions 100 pilots. HERE

[May 21] ATLANTA,GA, USA--A new World Record was set at the Southeastern Electric Flight Festival, near Altlanta Georgia, U.S.A. for the total number of R/C model aircraft flown at the same time within a period of one minute: 100 planes.(some discrepancy)

Ric Vaughn was event co-coordinator for the attempt which exceeded the standing record of 49 models (set in South Africa) with no less than 113 launches.

100 planes remained in the air for the required time.

"During the range check we had a total of 59 2.4GHz systems on and bound at the same time" said Vaughn, "Sky space was not a problem, most participants said they had plenty of room to fly, but there was one midair, which cost us a plane.
All and all, it went way better than I thought it would."

Curious if anyone knows if the record still stands at 99(100) and if a record attempt could happen at Flite Fest 2015?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
We had to be close to that last year. Not sure if anyone counted before the launch tho.

RichB

I just verified on the Guinness website, the record stands at 99 set in 2008.

We should definitely try to break the record at FF2015!

Unless the FF staff disagrees, We should get a thread going to begin organizing it and if we get 50 people committed, I'll start the application process to get a judge to come and verify it

Last edited:

brettp2004

I would be surprised if we didn't have more than that last year. Especially during combat. You should definitely call Guinness!

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
You guys need to remember, that the aircrafts have to stay in the air for one minute. Combat is kind of the opposite ;).

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Maybe, by masquerading the combat event as a "Set the World record" event, we'll actually have more plane to plane contact than last year? It always seems like in the combat events I've been involved with, we never hit each other... until it ends and we switch to fun flight... then it's chaos.

RichB

If we get enough pilots committed, it should definitely be planned as the record attempt, not a part of combat.

The judge might have an idea about how to do this better, but my thoughts are these:

We should perhaps all take off at one end of the area, and land in an other area. perhaps taking off from the flight line and landing in the field would be good enough.
Any plane that landed during the timed minute would have to stay down, and no planes would be allowed to go up once the timed minute begins. Once landing begins, no non-participating planes would be allowed to go up until the landed planes could all be counted.

We would probably take off in waves, depending on how many participants there were and takeoff space available. First wave should loiter the highest, second wave should loiter second highest, etc. Once everyone is in the air we start the timed minute. Any planes that drop during the timed minute would be noted as deductions from the total. Once the timed minute is over, no one will be allowed to cross the flight line carrying an aircraft in either direction until planes on the ground could be counted.

MrClean

Make sure if you're going to try for a Guinness record you gotta get those people there ahead of time. Contacting them now would be the way to go. Getting your pilots lined up NOW would be the way to go.
In 2011 at the international SPADfest2011 we had 26(?) DPSs flying. Not that many planes compared to other records but man, it was fun.

I've been in a CL circle with 15 other pilots. Don't know what the record is for that but 100 RC planes in the air is nothing compared to 16 control line pilots going low, high, get out of that line tangle DANG short kid with a fast plane AGAIN!!!

Good times.