Second Attempt at RC Aircraft

Jeremy97469

Currently considering buying some new RC Aircraft kits and remotes for a second attempt at this hobby.

My first attempt was around 2005 with a styrofoam airframe kit and a second-hand GWS 72MHz FM transmitter/receiver kit. Spent some time getting the model ready to fly and got it into the air easy enough. Unfortunately, the flight was brief before it nosedived into the ground. The impact scattered the entire plane ruining the propeller, wings, and fuselage. The electronics were the only things salvaged.

Yesterday, I pulled the GWS control kit out of storage, installed 8 fresh alkaline AA batteries into the remote transmitter, 4 AA batteries into the receiver battery pack, and tested the system. The 4-channel transmitter is my current avatar. Unfortunately, the servo on channel 2 would pin hard one way and start loudly buzzing and vibrating. Tried all 3 of the servos in the kit on channels 2 and 3 confirming good servos and bad receiver channel 2 output. Don’t know if the transmitter or receiver is the issue, but, either way, time for a new remote control system.

Thank you for the forum. Looking forward to connecting with other RC aircraft hobbyists.

luvmy40

Elite member
IMHO, the best/cheapest bang for the buck is the FlySky i-6X and FlySky receivers.

The RadioMaster TX16S is a huge upgrade due to the EdgeTX firmware, and still rather affordable. It can be had in several configurations and can be modified to different protocols with external modules. The Multi Protocol variant is compatible with most receivers, including the cheaper FlySky offerings.

Try the FT Scout or Mini Scout. Fun builds and great flyers. The FB planes are easier to repair than the foam molded planes. Remember: Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat!

kdobson83

I will repeat what was stated above. Flysky i6x is a GREAT starter system, super cheap, never had issues with mine, and very common/easy to find. Move up to Radiomaster TX16S with EdgeTX on it, if you get the 4in1 it'll bind to 99% of receivers out there including most of the cheap bind-n-flys you can get. I LOVE my Radiomaster TX16S and still use my flysky receivers I bought 8 years ago.

And Flitetest models are a great way to get into the hobby. I got most of my beginner XP with the FT Flyer. Very quick build, very easy repair, and pretty easy to fly. Then moved to the Tiny Trainer 3 channel, then upgraded the wing on the Tiny Trainer to the 4 channel. Just swap out the wing and you have a whole new style of flying plane. Once you master the 4 channel Tiny Trainer, you can move on to pretty much ANY intermediate plane with ease. The best part of Flite Test planes is you can do a quick build with no details to just get in the air or you can decorate away and make them look almost as good as store bought. Some times the build and decoration can be as satisfying as the flights.

Quick advice though, dont waste time decorating your first couple builds as you will most likely crash em like most of us do. lol Maybe add some color for visibility but keep the first few builds simple. Below are pictures of a few of my latest builds. Welcome to the hobby/addiction.

Attachments

• 3D.jpg
    3D.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DR1.jpg
    DR1.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 0

Cnat

I will repeat what was stated above. Flysky i6x is a GREAT starter system, super cheap, never had issues with mine, and very common/easy to find. Move up to Radiomaster TX16S with EdgeTX on it, if you get the 4in1 it'll bind to 99% of receivers out there including most of the cheap bind-n-flys you can get. I LOVE my Radiomaster TX16S and still use my flysky receivers I bought 8 years ago.

And Flitetest models are a great way to get into the hobby. I got most of my beginner XP with the FT Flyer. Very quick build, very easy repair, and pretty easy to fly. Then moved to the Tiny Trainer 3 channel, then upgraded the wing on the Tiny Trainer to the 4 channel. Just swap out the wing and you have a whole new style of flying plane. Once you master the 4 channel Tiny Trainer, you can move on to pretty much ANY intermediate plane with ease. The best part of Flite Test planes is you can do a quick build with no details to just get in the air or you can decorate away and make them look almost as good as store bought. Some times the build and decoration can be as satisfying as the flights.

Quick advice though, dont waste time decorating your first couple builds as you will most likely crash em like most of us do. lol Maybe add some color for visibility but keep the first few builds simple. Below are pictures of a few of my latest builds. Welcome to the hobby/addiction.
The graphics on that FT3D are sick. How did you get them?

I built one of those and had a hard time getting it to hover and fly strait. I think it was a bit too heavy so I made a lil ripper instead, but im considering trying the FT Edge

Tench745

Master member
Currently considering buying some new RC Aircraft kits and remotes for a second attempt at this hobby.

My first attempt was around 2005 with a styrofoam airframe kit and a second-hand GWS 72MHz FM transmitter/receiver kit. Spent some time getting the model ready to fly and got it into the air easy enough. Unfortunately, the flight was brief before it nosedived into the ground. The impact scattered the entire plane ruining the propeller, wings, and fuselage. The electronics were the only things salvaged.

Yesterday, I pulled the GWS control kit out of storage, installed 8 fresh alkaline AA batteries into the remote transmitter, 4 AA batteries into the receiver battery pack, and tested the system. The 4-channel transmitter is my current avatar. Unfortunately, the servo on channel 2 would pin hard one way and start loudly buzzing and vibrating. Tried all 3 of the servos in the kit on channels 2 and 3 confirming good servos and bad receiver channel 2 output. Don’t know if the transmitter or receiver is the issue, but, either way, time for a new remote control system.

Thank you for the forum. Looking forward to connecting with other RC aircraft hobbyists.
Likely a dirty potentiometer in the transmitter. Get yourself some electrical contact cleaner, spray it in all potentiometers, move the sticks around to work any gunk out, then test again.
It's probably time for a 21st century radio anyway, but if you're anything like me it's rewarding to fix the problem you have first.

tomlogan1

Elite member
IMHO, the best/cheapest bang for the buck is the FlySky i-6X and FlySky receivers.

The RadioMaster TX16S is a huge upgrade due to the EdgeTX firmware, and still rather affordable. It can be had in several configurations and can be modified to different protocols with external modules. The Multi Protocol variant is compatible with most receivers, including the cheaper FlySky offerings.

Try the FT Scout or Mini Scout. Fun builds and great flyers. The FB planes are easier to repair than the foam molded planes. Remember: Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat!
I was thinking the exact thing as in this post. I fly the Radioaster TX16S with FlySky 6 and 10 channel receivers and they are rock solid. If your budget doesn't allow the Radiomaster you can start very economically with the FlySky 6 channel radio and receiver and upgrade if and when you feel the need. Good luck.

kdobson83

The graphics on that FT3D are sick. How did you get them?

I built one of those and had a hard time getting it to hover and fly strait. I think it was a bit too heavy so I made a lil ripper instead, but im considering trying the FT Edge
The decals were printed using a standard printer. To do the bigger ones you print in tile format and tape them. Cover in packing tape and cut out with a xacto blade, then spray glue on. I also cover all my builds with thin packing tape while they are still pieces (kit form). Then build. It adds a TON of strength, makes them mostly water resistant, and makes them last a lot longer but doesn’t add too much weight. Only added maybe 10 grams or so on the DR1 and maybe 50ish on the 3D XL. I only tape exterior pieces and only the part facing out.
This is the tape I use. It’s pretty thin, and a 5 pack lasts a LONG time.

Jeremy97469

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions on the remote systems. The TX16S transmitter with the EZ power add-on kits are likely to be my starting system.