Motor made weird screeching noise then cut off...

mikea90

So I was flying and all of a sudden my motor made an awful sound and then I loss all controls and then it glided down and then made the beeping sound like it does when you first plug in your battery. But it was too late because it hit a fence. It was a fresh battery in this flight.

What would cause this?? This was the first time it happened with this setup and I haven't flown it since. I had about 5-6 flights with it before this happened with no problems except sometimes when I throttle it up the motor makes a brief high pitch grinding noise. It seems like the motor is trying to draw more power than the ESC can supply but from what i read a 30A ESC should be plenty for this motor.

Motor: Suppo 2212/6 2200kv Brushless Motor
ESC: Suppo 30A Brushless ESC
Battery: 2200mAh 3s 25C Lipo Pack
Prop: Gemfan APC-style 6x4 Electric Propeller

mikea90

here's a video of the crash (sorry for the horrible horrible quality). listen for the motor cutting out and the faint sound of everything powering back up at the very end.

lee250

I had an NTM 28-26 prop drive that did that. I talked to some guys at the field and they said it was the motor timing from the ESC. I dont think the suppo can be changed. Mine only did it if I went from about half to full throttle very fast.

mikea90

ok I kinda suspected that from what I've read on forums. That's exactly when mine does it too. I wonder if there's any way to fix it for my suppo ESC seeing how the timing can't be programmed

mikea90

Alright thanks. I just emailed Altitude Hobbies about this since I bought it all from them so I'll see what they can do

Garret H

Altitude Hobbies, Owner
That isn't a timing issue or lack of sizable ESC; the Mesa kits now come with Suppo's HW40A with HobbyWing firmware which is not only overkill for amperage but has been tested extensively by MESA to be the best match for the 2212/6 motor included with the kit.

From what I hear, it could be one of two things: either a bad ESC, or a bad connection on the bullet connectors. This would explain why the motor cut out after launching (from the wires shifting) and then re-armed after hitting the ground. In either case, we'll send the OP an email and get the issue resolved most likely with a new ESC.

Garret