motor problems?

tward

I'm building a quad, using Cobra motors with Castle esc's, KK flight board all powered by four cell venom. My problem is that my #3 motor is slow to spin up.:( At around one fourth throttle or so the others are turning pretty fair while #3 just barely spins. Is the motor bad or the esc? How can I test either one?:confused:
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Let's start with the obvious and work our way to the uncommon problems . . .

Have you calibrated the ESC endpoints yet?

tward

Thank you, Dan. After checking your post, I went back and rechecked all the calibrations and parameters of both FC and ESC's. I reset everything from start to finish, after coffee, and all seems to be good now. Initial tests are very promising. Will hover again today after I buy some more props. Yep, had a boo-boo. Only one set of props on hand. I will remedy that today.
Once again, thank you. I will let you know. Might even post a pic if I figure out how.:rolleyes:

tward

Well Dan, I guess I'm missing something. Apparently I don't know how to do the endpoint calibrations. Will you help?
Thank you,
Tony

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Is this happening on the ground or in the air?
As far as calibrating, There are 2 ways: one at a time direct through the receiver or all of them at once through the KK. Through the rx is done this way. Plug one ESC in to the throttle port on your rx at a time. Turn on your Transmitter and move throttle stick to full or all the way up, power up the esc plugged into the RX. The motor will make 2 beeps usually and then you can pull the throttle stick down. The esc should now go through it's normal start up tones after some kind of confirmation beep or beeps. Do that for each esc.
To tell you how to do it through your KK, we need to know what board and what version FW you are using as that procedure changes some with different firmwares...

Last edited:

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
First, TAKE THE PROPS OFF.
Next, set TX throttle to full, and trims and sub trims to center.
Then, hold down buttons 1 and 4 (outer two) on the KK.
Plug in power, and the ESCs should do whatever they do when calibrated. once they repeatedly give out a tone, or become quiet, lower the throttle and unplug battery.
Done!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
He never said he had a KK2, but due to the nature of the original question, that's probably a safe bet to assume he does. Thanks Montiey!

tward

Thank you to Xuzme720 and Montiey. Everything is calibrated and ready to go. I will give a spin tomorrow after work.
I sure do like this place and the very helpful people. Keep up the good work.:applause:

Tony