MS P-38 Removable Wing?

Richard Jones

Hi all. I'm a bit new to the hobby and have built and enjoy flying several of the Mighty mini series. A few turned into lawn darts but that's another story. My sons got me the MS P-38 for Fathers Day because they know how much I love twins. With a wing span of 57.5" I'm thinking it will not fit into my 2015 Kia Forte5 hatchback. Does anybody know of plans showing a way to make the wing tips removable? I'm thinking of engineering my own solution but thought I would bounce the idea off you folks who probably have a great solution already. Thanks in advance for your help!! Rick

CrshNBrn

Elite member
A removable P-38 wing is a tough challenge. Currently, the wing runs through the forward part of the booms in a hand-cut slot that is a tight fit. Removable wingtips would require separating the wing somewhere inside the booms, right? Maybe if you could somehow embed a carbon fiber rod inside the inner wing and build some kind of receiver for it in the wingtip? The Flightline P-38 uses screws to hold the outer wing portions in place; maybe someone with more engineering experience could figure it out with foamboard. Good luck- I'd love to see pictures of any attempts you try with this modification!

Richard Jones

A removable P-38 wing is a tough challenge. Currently, the wing runs through the forward part of the booms in a hand-cut slot that is a tight fit. Removable wingtips would require separating the wing somewhere inside the booms, right? Maybe if you could somehow embed a carbon fiber rod inside the inner wing and build some kind of receiver for it in the wingtip? The Flightline P-38 uses screws to hold the outer wing portions in place; maybe someone with more engineering experience could figure it out with foamboard. Good luck- I'd love to see pictures of any attempts you try with this modification!
Thanks for the reply! I'm thinking the wing tips could be removable just before the booms, or I can find a way to shoe horn the plane into my hatchback. If I attempt anything I most certainly will post!!