Multi-Camera FPV

AdamBomb42x

Is there a FPV system available that can transmit more than one video at a time (no switch)?

I have some brain storming going on.

vk2dxn

Yes there is. I think it was on here that I saw a post about a double Vtx on 5.8ghz that basically had two transmitters in one case. It was capable of two camera inputs and had two separate antennas for transmitting on two different frequencies. The price of the tx was a little more then buying two single tx's of the same power output so it wasn't really good value from my opinion.

AdamBomb42x

I'll let you guy in on what's going on in my head. I was thinking that it'd be great if you could have multiple cameras pointing in different directions and use software to translate that into a virtual cockpit with the oculus rift. I would want a minimum of 4 cameras, forward, sides, and down. Any thoughts on this?

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Or you could go the Parrot Bebop way and use a fisheye-lens to get a 180° view and have software render the distortion out of the part of the image that is shown:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Sounds like he is looking for a more immersive "simulator" type of setup. Again, one transmitter won't work but multiple Tx/Rx's and a video combiner might be more along the lines of what you are trying to do. The combiner could be something like this, but if you are looking for more cameras, more channels will be necessary.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Or you could go the Parrot Bebop way and use a fisheye-lens to get a 180° view and have software render the distortion out of the part of the image that is shown:

Balu! That is elegant, and might just be the best way to go!

AdamBomb42x

Sounds like he is looking for a more immersive "simulator" type of setup. Again, one transmitter won't work but multiple Tx/Rx's and a video combiner might be more along the lines of what you are trying to do. The combiner could be something like this, but if you are looking for more cameras, more channels will be necessary.

You are correct sir, I want to feel like I'm there. I'm not really surprised that the equipment that I'm looking for isn't available and I think it would be silly to have 4 to 6 transmitters on an R/C. Oh well.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I appreciate the ideas given.

haha49

if you use a 5.8ghz transmiter make sure your 3 channels apart as there can be overlapping. Also use right hand and left hand attenas 1 for each ground station and transmiter that way they wont interfere with each other. Don't use super powerful stuff 200mw is good enough for most people it all depends on what you want to do and how far ect.

You can also do a liner and circle polarized setup they don't cross over that much which is why you don't mix and match the attenas it's 1 or the other.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
You can also do a liner and circle polarized setup they don't cross over that much which is why you don't mix and match the attenas it's 1 or the other.

Close, but not quite . . .

If you mismatch linear and circular polarization, they have a 3db loss -- your circular antenna on your base station will see roughly 1/2 the power of the other signal . . . but a horizontal to vertical mismatch on a linear polarization is a near-infinite mismatch (usually not that bad, mearly 1000 times weaker :eek:). The problem here is the difference between a horizontal or a vertical linear polarized antenna is it's orentaion -- whether it's pointed up or sideways . . . bank your plane 90 degreees, guess what you've done: The intended reciever can't see it at all and the reciever you *don't* want to interfere with can still hear it at 1/2 power.

Why this wierd behavior? Circular polarization has no orentaion. As long as you're not listening in a null of the antenna (blindspot) the antennas are generally just as good from any orentation.

A better strategy is to run the spin the other direction. A right hand circular polarized antenna has a near-infinte signal loss (again something around 1000 times) with a left hand circular antenna. If you mount one transmitter with a left hand circular antenna and the other a right hand circular antenna, then run another set of left/right CP antennas on your base station, you can even run neighboring channels and they won't cross talk . . . but probably still better to skip a channel. Swapping polarization this way you can comfortably fit 4 active transmitters into the band, and possibly even be able to squeeze in a few more, if you're desperate.