My 175% Super Sparrow

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
Since I built my first FT Sparrow I've been in love with this design. So much so that I decided to have a go at upscaling. I decided on 175% so that I could get each wing onto one A1 sheet of foamboard. I used my own modified plans which adds some extra length to the nose for better CG. The foamboard we use here in Europe is heavier so you need that extra nose weight. I used mostly the 3mm variety. Say what you like about the euro foamboard, but its super stong. Saying that I did use 5mm for the tail.

1.jpg

It's a nice size with a wingspan of 1200mm. AUW with a 4s 4000 battery is 1.2kg See I'm in Ireland and wind is an issue, its almost always blowing some sort of breeze. I found my flying time was getting too limited waiting for that almost dead calm day so really the best solution is to build bigger.

2.jpg

I added some ply reinforcments at the bits that tend to get bashed and bent the most. i.e. In front of the wing (seen above) and also at the rear where the rubber band rod goes through. You cant see in the pics but theres a couple of squares of ply under there too.

3.jpg

Also at the rear I added some barbie skewers. I found that even in the regular sized sparrow the tail tended to crumple against the wing after a hard landing so the skewers do help a lot. I'd recommend these for even regular sized sparrows.

4.jpg

Last pic is the battery housing. It holds a 4S 4000 battery nice and tight with the velcro. Some extra foamboard padding in there too to help abosrb impacts on the battery.

You'll notice I havent talked about motor config. Well there's a story there cause I sorta messed up. I originally stuck in a NTM 28/26 1200kv and an 8x4 prop. Well with a 4S that combo kicks out 320W and the motor is only rated to 286W. Don't know why bells didn't go off in my head!! So last night it had its maiden and it flew beautifully. Lovely and stable, flew really nice scale looking loops and rolls and I got easily a good 10 minutes from the battery and when I checked the battery still had plenty left.

This evening I took it up and again it was flying beautifully intil the magic smoke came from the motor and it died. Thankfully I had plenty of altitude and it glided to a nice soft landing with no harm done except for my dead 28-26.

I also factored in an allowance for an extra bit of nose weight for a minature camera so I actually have some footage of this evenings entertainment and even the motor failure and glided landing.

In short I'm super happy with my super sparrow. A properly rated motor and she'll be back in the air.

If anyone wants to build one, I'd recommend simply printing out the plan at 175%, alternatively if your using euro foamboard, then it might be better to use my modified plan with the extra nose lenght and again print at 175%

fahrvergnuugen

It's interesting that your 28/26 burnt up on 4S with an 8" prop. I thought it would handle that. I was about to try 4S on my Tiger 2208 1100kv with 8x4.5 props but maybe I better not since that motor can handle even less wattage.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
You did a fantastic job on the paint job! I'd try to use an NTM 28-30 1100kv on it. It has a lot more oomph than the 28-26 than you were using as you can run a 9x6 on 4s if you're not WOT all the time.

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
It's interesting that your 28/26 burnt up on 4S with an 8" prop. I thought it would handle that. I was about to try 4S on my Tiger 2208 1100kv with 8x4.5 props but maybe I better not since that motor can handle even less wattage.

Yep I think that would give you the magic smoke in fairly short order. Save that nice little motor for a 3S.

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
You did a fantastic job on the paint job! I'd try to use an NTM 28-30 1100kv on it. It has a lot more oomph than the 28-26 than you were using as you can run a 9x6 on 4s if you're not WOT all the time.

Thanks! The paint job is just silver acrylic spray and cherry red on the nose and wingtips. The rear stripe is just hobbyking tape. The black parts are hobbyking iron on covering.

I like the look of that 28-30 motor also the 2836 1000kv is advertised to 400W on a 4S and is only a couple of grams heavier. I definitely like the idea of going bigger prop too. The 8" needed WOT a lot and I think that hastened the motors demise.

Problem is now I've got the size bug real bad and I'm wondering just how big I can go with a sparrow. With the right re-inforcement (cf rods) I think I could even go to 250% or bigger.

GremlinRC

FT_Nut
So in the end, I went with a 35/28 1100kv NTM prop drive and also upgraded to a 40A turnigy plush esc and an APC 9x6 prop. I needed to add a few grams of blutac inside the nose to balance out the extra few grams of the 35/28. Anyway just had a re-maiden and it flies absolutely incredibly. I'll try get some video from the ground next time but it flew like it was on rails. 2/3 throttle and it just flew outta my hand. Cruising around on 1/3 throttle and then punching it full into the vertical it just kept going. I found the regular sparrow a bit twitchy, but this is by far the easiest plane i've ever flown. I could take both hands off the radio and it just flew a straight line.

With a 4S 4000 I flew for a good 10 minutes and probably could have gone a good bit longer, I measured the battery at 16.12v when I got back home. I've just ordered some FPV equipment and an ardupilot kit and I'm certainly looking forward to taking this a lot further. I also see a 'Monster' sparrow in my not too distant future. Maybe with carbon sheet/foam board composite? I've flown planes like the HK 'Go discover' and the X-8 and this 175% super sparrow easily rivals those. If you're looking for a larger stable FPV platform this one is definitely for you. I'm currently dragging all my mods together and will compile these into a set of plans for anyone interested.

Last edited:

duckduckgoose

This is so cool! Been flying the sparrow over the last few days. Its my first ft plane (or any plane) and i love it, glides well when throttled back, and doesn't stall easily definitely making an upscale version. i'm thinking of doing it 165% to make it match the standard firewalls. love the paint also, i might have to paint this one.