• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My aerodynamic experiment

I came up with this idea in 1994, but had only built a small mock-up based on pusher props....still getting a counter-rotating setup back then was problematic. These two EDFs are built and sold as a matched set so I finally got around to building it. Hard, mostly because at 33" EDF nose cone to nose cone is still pretty small. Getting the linkage and 6, 10 awg wires thru the rudder wasn't easy....and I insist on not having ANY control surface linkage on the outside.

The experiment of course, is the effect on the wing-tip vortices. The other day I glued the rear rudder section on to the fuselage backbone with the forward wings and a few hours later picked it up out of the crdle....handled it quite a bit now, it's very strong. The fuselage will be 4.5" in diameter and in the photo I was looking at my CG calculations and the room for the components. All going as expected. Haha, yay!

Last edited:
This is just too small. The first fuselage rib on the back end. At least there'll only be a few this size, at the front and back. At the back I'm going from this one to a perfect 4.5" circle in 10.75". Balsa carved blocks on both ends. The back end and some of the middle of the fuselage will be sheeted with 1/32 Plywood. So I don't have to make anymore cuts for stringers. I can glue in short pieces for the top....just in the back end section. The rest will have more stringers.

Sometimes a little force IS required. I couldn't find landing struts that were sized for my model, mostly because everything is either huge or made for giant wheels, or pathetically flemsy. My little model is still going to weigh 5-6 Lbs. My wheels are 33mm because there's a really good runway about 30 miles from my house......so I ordered some T6061 and bent my own for the main landing gear.

7" wide and 3" high with 33 degree angles on the struts. The T6061 bar is .5" x .125". I've used T6 extensively for many projects. It's maybe, my favorite material. Even this small size bar requires a sledge to bend.

Last edited: