My custom quadcopter

StuartPB

I'm currently waiting for my Tiny Trainer speed build kit to be delivered here in the UK, so while I'm waiting I thought I'd share my multi rotor build. I'm deciding whether to sell this and use the cash for more fixed wing gear, but as I built the quadcopter I've got a bit of an attachment to it :) I started out with a DM007 micro quadcopter to get my first taste of multi rotor flight, then I progressed to a Quanum Nova. The QN was pretty good, but I wanted a platform from which I could try different components. I modded the QN with an APM 2.6 FC, voltage monitor and added telemetry to it, which I displayed on my HTC One M8 phone via the Tower app. I wanted to take things further though so I decided to try building a quad with the S500 frame, for aerial video capture.

The specs of the current quad are:

S500 Quadcopter Frame
Naza M-Lite Flashed to Naza M v2 with GPS
qBrain 25a 4 in 1 ESC
2212 920KV x4 Motors - taken from the Quanum Nova
DJI 9450 Props Self Tightening
Cheap Chinese 2 Axis Gimbal & Controller
Xiaomi Yi Action Camera
FlySky FS-i6 Transmitter
FlySky FS-iA6 6 Channel Receiver
Turnigy 3s 20c 5000mah Lipo

With the gimbal and camera it has an all up weight of 1.53kg.

I've made quite a few mistakes along the way, including frying the QN GPS unit by reversing the wires accidentally, bricking a gimbal controller when flashing the firmware and when I was using the APM FC I had a few gnarly crashes by trying to be clever.

One thing that I want to improve on with this quad if I do decide to keep it is the flight time with the camera and gimbal. I'll probably go 4S and swing bigger props with lower KV motors. Not sure what config to go with yet though. The best flight time I've had with the camera and gimbal and easy flying was about 6 minutes.

I do like flying this quadcopter. It's great without the camera and gimbal, really nippy. To the point it caught me off guard how quick it can move;)

Some photos of the quadcopter:

IMAG0822.jpg IMAG0827.jpg IMAG0825.jpg
IMAG0826.jpg
IMAG0824.jpg IMAG0823.jpg

This was my first flight with the camera and gimbal. I didn't do anything fancy as I wanted to get a feel of how it handles with the weight.