My first build is in your hands!

s1rGr1nG0

Greetings from Katy, TX!
I made the mistake of buying my kid, (she's 8), a cheap Syma X5SW for Christmas. I flew it a few times and started doing some research online about possibly getting myself something to fly.

This is where the "mistake" part comes in. It was during this research that I stumbled across FPV racing and freestyle!!
I had never heard of such a thing and I was instantly fricking AMAZED! Now, obviously, I'm balls deep into wanting to build a quad. I've watched probably every video on YouTube about builds and flying. I've seen Charpu and Steele's flights and they have some serious skill, as do a lot of the guys on this site!

I'm in the process of learning the ropes on flying by using my kids LOS quad. I've also bought the flight sim "LiftOff" and have ordered a radio, FS-I6S, to learn with.
I will be ordering the parts for my build over the coming weeks until I get everything acquired to complete it. I still haven't settled on a frame yet and I'm undecided about it. I'm leaning toward something in the 200-250mm range.

What should I be looking at in terms of camera gear? I do have a GoPro Session I will like to mount on top for my HD vids but I know that I won't be using that to fly by. I want as little latency as possible so suggestions on that would be a big help. I think motors and ECS's are pretty straight forward but I'm also willing to listen to more experienced builders about what works well and what doesn't.

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
HEY s1rGr1nG0!

Welcome to the wonderful world of the FT Forums! So glad you have become a part of our wonderful RC FLIGHT FAMILY!

First off I wanted to say we are so stoked for you to be a part of this awesome hobby! You will find that it can be a BIT addicting, but so fulfilling! I look forward to seeing what you build, fly and upload to the forums! I can't wait! ;)

As far as camera's are concerned... All of us at the shop pretty much fly through a board camera called the Runcam Owl Plus! It is a low light camera that has great picture quality as well as is super great in low light conditions( I flew it at dusk and it was as if it was 3pm in the afternoon!
Obviously there are a LOT of great options out there and you have to use what works for you, but wanted to toss in our 2 cents and let you know what we like to fly through.

Lastly, when it comes to freestyling/racing... the motors and esc's can make a big difference, so make sure you do not SKIMP, but get something like a Emax 2205 2300 Red Bottom motor or something similar status for what you want to do!

Blessings and good luck with everything moving forward!

Stefan and the FT crew!

s1rGr1nG0

Thanks for the reply! I'm definitely a, (much to the chagrin of my wife), "buy once/cry once" kind of guy. If it means spending a few dollars more to get quality parts then that is usually the way I will go. With the camera you mentioned how does the display look in our goggles?
I understand that at this point the display can be a little grainy but that the technology is rapidly changing. Are there suggested Tx/Rx for cameras that will give a clearer image for flying FPV?

What about things like the PDB and FC? Are there manufacturers/models that are better built that others? Ones to avoid?

Thanks again!

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
It looks great to be honest! Also, we use a 200mw vtx most of the time. The PDB/FC that is something we use on a regular basis now is the KOMBINI FC which is a PDB and FC all in 1! We have also used naze boards and matek pdb's, but there are a lot of them out there so you will see a lot of people like or hate some and like or hate others!

Hope this helps!

Stefan

abieex

Mentor
Not to be a downer but its a giant leap from a Syma X5SW and flight sim to a full blown free style high powered quad. The throttle response on these machines is incredible and they can be out of sight in a New York minute. We are all glad your here and can't wait to follow your FPV adventures. I would suggest maybe a VersaCopter with 2204s on it to develop the skill set then move on to something more. Whatever you decide to do..........Welcome!

jack10525

Yep this is the path I chose. ^^^

Build a versacopter and slowly add the parts you want. I suggest learning how to fly before you add fpv gear.